Cannot follow why one command will work fine, but you change text and it busts

Started by avalut, January 03, 2019, 06:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avalut

Hi,

Can someone tell me why this command will work fine

perl c:\windows\exiftool.pl -artist="Phil Harvey" -copyright="2011 Phil Harvey" C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\testimage

and it writes correctly to the file but if I change it to

perl c:\windows\exiftool.pl -artist="Silverstone Auctions" -copyright="2019 Silverstone Auctions" C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\testimage

it come up with an error file not found, both are text fields and apart from more characters there is no change om what the command is asking unless I am missing something.

Many thanks
Andrew

Phil Harvey

Hi Andrew,

It must be a difference in an invisible character somewhere.  Either the wrong space, quote or dash character.  It should work if you retype it using a standard keyboard so you don't get any funny characters.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

avalut

this command
perl c:\windows\exiftool.pl -artist="Silverstone Auctions" C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\testimage
is producing

"Silverstone;

could the issue be I am copying from text edit in a mac and pasting into my VPS rather than typing in direct? will check maybe that is the issue.

avalut

Phil,
You have nailed it - it seemed to be an issue with a copy and paste from a Mac to my Windows VPS it was creating a funny ".
This is what has been causing the issue, when typed direct into terminal it worked, or sorry pasted into notepad and fixed the " character and then pasted in and all good.

What a nightmare - Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac.

Many thanks finally have got it to work.
Andrew