News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Modify video file date/tame tags (all)

Started by mastodon, January 09, 2019, 04:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastodon

I know that it is very hard, but what is the best practice for modifing mov file date/time tags? (Canon Powershoot and Panasonic) Does anybody have a workflow for this? If Exiftool does not capable for it, how to do it with hex editors? Wich one to use?

Phil Harvey

ExifTool will modify most MOV date/time tags.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

If you find that exiftool can't modify a date-time tag, have a look at the tool matchDateTime I wrote for modifying some of the tags that exiftool can't write. You can find it at github.

If you have any questions/suggestions about matchDateTime, let me know :)
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

mastodon

That will be nice!
I have downloaded Strawberry Perl 64 bit, portable. Unziiped it in a directory on C: (windows drive). Then I put in this unzipped directory the script with the name matchDateTime.pl and Exiftool.exe. I wanted to run the script like: matchDateTime... did not work
How to use it? Thank you Hayo Baan!

Hayo Baan

On Windows, you either have to give the script a .pl suffix and associate .pl with Perl, or simply run perl matchDateTime .... That should do it. If you have more questions, let me know  :)
Hayo Baan – Photography

mastodon

OK, it runs, but did not get the context. How to say shift back every time tag with 58:00 minutes in file video.mp4, that is in the same directory as matchDateTime.pl?
Do I understand right, that after this I have to run exiftool (with exiftool.exe in the same directory "exiftool.exe -globalTimeShift +00:58 -time:all video.mp4") to modify the rest of the time tags?

Hayo Baan

Yes, to get everything the way you want, you'll first need to make sure that you've used exiftool to get all tags that exiftool can write (most importantly QuickTime createDate) the way you want and then run matchDateTime.

Note: You don't need to have the images and the script/exiftool in the same directory, just make sure that they can be found (PATH environment variable) or that you specify the image file including the directory.
Hayo Baan – Photography

mastodon

Sorry, I had a computer crash and after I repaired it, I had no time. I am stucked. Even Exiftool does not modify anything. Please write the exact phrases that I have to use for shifting the date of the file named testvideo.mov with 1:42 (1 hour and 42 minutes) forward. (I don't undestand how to set minutes.)
exiftool ...
matchDateTime ...

StarGeek

What is the exact command you are using and what is the output?   Are you using exiftool to check for a change or using some other program?

If it says that files have been updated, then something has been updated.  You just may be looking for a change in the wrong place.

The command to add an hour and 42 minutes would be:
exiftool -TAG+=1:42 testvideo.mov

The problem is knowing which tag you actually want to update (see FAQ #3).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).