Author Topic: Set Date Taken from File Name  (Read 10323 times)

mbrijun

Re: Set Date Taken from File Name
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 02:47:53 AM »
Hi, this is a very useful functionality I have been looking for. One additional question - can exiftool detect if "AllDates" metadata is already present and skip that file without modifying it? Thank you.

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 03:11:50 AM »
I wouldn't know how to do it in the GUI (which is no longer supported) but on the command line you can add the -wm (writemode) option, specifically -wm cg which will create new tags and groups as necessary but will not write to existing tags.

But one thing to realize is that AllDates is a Shortcut tag and if one or two of the tags that are part of the shortcut don't exist, then it would write to those while leaving the others alone.  This could show up as discrepancies between time stamps.
Troubleshooting hints:
* When posting, include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).
* Double all percent signs (%) in a Windows batch file.
* If your GPS coords are negative, make sure and set the GpsLatitudeRef and GpsLongitudeRef tags correctly.

mbrijun

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 05:37:21 AM »
on the command line you can add the -wm (writemode) option, specifically -wm cg which will create new tags and groups as necessary but will not write to existing tags.

this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!