News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

EXIFToolGui516 Starts but then closes

Started by GilExifUser, January 14, 2019, 03:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Quote from: SharkyCA on February 19, 2020, 09:48:07 PM
I have the Windows 10 Blues, every time they run an update something else on my laptop breaks!

You might consider delaying future "function" updates for a few months. And don't click "search for updates" without a reason.

I have had most of my success with getting "ExifTool & ExiftoolGui" running on my :
Windows 10   Version   10.0.18363 Build 18363   HP Laptop 8gig
By using the install tool mentioned in this post by Phil Harvey: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=10315.0 which includes the "Install tool" created by Oliver Betz.

I don't think that this is a reason for your problems, but out of curiosity:

How (as user or admin) and where (directory) did you install ExifTool with this installer?

Advice for future ExifToolGUI users:

If you use ExifTool only with ExifToolGUI, the ExifToolGUI directory might be the best place for ExifTool.

In this case, you can simply unzip the contents of the ZIP file from my web site to the ExifToolGUI directory so that ExifTool.exe is in the same directory as ExifToolGUI.exe. No need to "install" anything or dealing with the "path" variable.

Oliver

SharkyCA

Quote from: obetz on February 20, 2020, 03:41:13 AM
I have the Windows 10 Blues, every time they run an update something else on my laptop breaks!

You might consider delaying future "function" updates for a few months. And don't click "search for updates" without a reason.

I have had most of my success with getting "ExifTool & ExiftoolGui" running on my :
Windows 10   Version   10.0.18363 Build 18363   HP Laptop 8gig
By using the install tool mentioned in this post by Phil Harvey: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=10315.0 which includes the "Install tool" created by Oliver Betz.

I don't think that this is a reason for your problems, but out of curiosity:

How (as user or admin) and where (directory) did you install ExifTool with this installer?

Advice for future ExifToolGUI users:

If you use ExifTool only with ExifToolGUI, the ExifToolGUI directory might be the best place for ExifTool.

In this case, you can simply unzip the contents of the ZIP file from my web site to the ExifToolGUI directory so that ExifTool.exe is in the same directory as ExifToolGUI.exe. No need to "install" anything or dealing with the "path" variable.

Oliver

I have installed & re-installed numerous times so not quite sure where it is running from now?

To the best of my knowledge it is from the directory as follows: (My user account is administrator account)

McVik

Hi Everybody,

I found this forum and topic while searching the Internet for the solution to a similar issue I was faced with, while trying to use the ExifToolGui under Windows 10 / 64 bit. Because I haven't found any solution that would work for me I have found my own one.  ;)

Before upgrading OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the ExifTool with ExifToolGui were the most powerful EXIF manipulation software I knew and ever used. But Microsoft with their Windows 10 "destroyed" these and lots of other useful and great applications.  >:(

After doing a lot of failed trials, including changing compatibility modes and administrator's privileges in the ExifToolGui shortcut properties, I decided to do the last trial that eventually appeared successful for me.

Finally I ran the ExifToolGui successfully on the virtual machine with the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit as a guest operating system installed. I used VMware Player (free for personal use) as a virtual machine engine but you could use any alternative VM software like e.g. VirtualBox. And there the ExifToolGui started to work fine and smooth with all of images it couldn't deal with before, under Windows 10.
I know that this won't be the best solution for everyone, but maybe it will help somebody.  Good luck. :)

Regards - Maciek

obetz

Quote from: McVik on June 22, 2020, 05:42:04 PM
Microsoft with their Windows 10 "destroyed" these and lots of other useful and great applications.  >:(

After doing a lot of failed trials, including changing compatibility modes and administrator's privileges in the ExifToolGui shortcut properties [...]

please don't blame Windows 10 for your specific problems. ExifTool and ExifTool Gui run fine in most Win 10 installations as well as they did in most Win 7 installations.

You do not need any compatibility mode or administrator privileges.

SharkyCA

Looking for some advice on this issue, sometimes it will work but most times it crashes with no indication!

Please see attached screen shots!

PeterHM

Hi,
I got the same error with Win10 (window closed after it just came up).
Error in the windowns log has something to do with shell32.dll.

After deletion of the "ExifToolGUIv5.ini" it's starting up and running.
Propably till next start.
So at least this is a kind of workaround to get ExifToolGui up and running.

panjumbiejohn

I ran into this issue tonight for the first time.  Saw the reply about deleting the ini file.  I decided to look at the contents of the file (ini files are plain text files readable and editable in any text editor)  And I saw and fixed the issue for me.  The DefaultDir entry pointed to the mapped drive letter of the folder on my server where I usually store my photo archive.  But I'm on vacation, thousands of miles from my now inaccessible server.  I edited the entry to point to c: and ExifTool GUI now opens normally, allowing me to select the folder containing my photos while I'm traveling.

This is a quick and easy fix if that is your issue.  If deleting the .ini file lets it open, look at the contents and correct the erroneous entry.

TheyCallMeMarc

I just started getting this same error - ExifToolGUI window opens, and after 5 or so seconds it closes with no message or error. Running Windows 10 Home 64 bit version 22H2 with all updates as of this date.

In my case, the cause is having a network drive mapped. My drive is a USB plugged into my router, shared with Samba, mounted as Z:. When I run ExifToolGUI as Administrator, it runs fine. But when run normally - my account is a regular user - I get the crash. "Werfault.exe" runs under the ExifToolGUI process momentarily just before it crashes (logging?). exiftool.exe process is left running, and Windows actually thinks it has file(s) on Z: open. My guess is the GUI does some drive scan on startup that blows up on the network drive if the process does not have Admin privileges, and it doesn't check first or handle the error.

Also noticed that if the default dir is not C:\, then when ExifToolGUI crashes it displays that last dir in the window middle panel for a moment, then switches to C:\ before crashing. But it also changes the default dir to C:\ in .ini so the next time you won't see that.

The fix for me was to either run ExifToolGUI as Administrator, or to disconnect my network drive. You can also use Windows File Explorer, open Properties on ExifToolGUI.exe, go to Compatibility tab, under Settings, and check "Run this program as an Administrator" so it always runs as Admin. Hope this helps someone else having this problem.

While this is obviously an error in ExifToolGUI, a thought for Phil. If you think it's worth the bother, and can find what bad operation the GUI is trying to have ExifTool do, you could take a look to see if there's an internal error that is slipping by uncaught.

Thanks for the great tag editing tool! And to the GUI author for originally writing this, still useful a decade out of support.  ;D