Weird -DateTimeOriginal operation - Linux

Started by MrVideo, November 03, 2021, 07:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrVideo

Version 12.34

This is a little weird. If I do not load in the example.config file, doing a -DateTimeOriginal results in the output containing one listing. But, if I read in the example.config file, I get two instances of the "Date/Time Original" output.

Anyone have a clue why this is happening and how to cure it?

EDIT: It gets weirder.  For examle: exiftool -config /usr/local/src/Image-ExifTool-12.34/.ExifTool_config  -DateTimeOriginal -GPSPosition# -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -GoogleMapsUrl _MVP4601.NEF
The output:
Date/Time Original              : 2021:09:29 15:21:39
Date/Time Original              : 2021:09:29 15:21:39
GPS Position                    : 65.080275 -22.7233583333333
GPS Latitude                    : 65.080275
GPS Latitude                    : 65.080275 N
GPS Longitude                   : 22.723358
GPS Longitude                   : 22.723358 W
Google Maps Url                 : https://www.google.com/maps/search/?q=65.080275,-22.7233583333333

The first longitude is incorrect, because it is missing the minus sign. I suspect the first latitude would be wrong if it were south of the equator. Also, even though I didn't add the # to the two other GPS tags, they too were changed to pure decimal. And there aren't enough decimal places for those two.

Phil Harvey

The example config file set the Duplicates option to 1.  Add -a to your command to achieve this effect without the config file.  I suggest also adding -G1 so you can see where these tags are coming from.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MrVideo

I do not want the duplicates. With the -G1 option, I get:
[ExifIFD]       Date/Time Original              : 2021:09:29 15:21:39
[IFD0]          Date/Time Original              : 2021:09:29 15:21:39
[Composite]     GPS Position                    : 65.080275 -22.7233583333333
[GPS]           GPS Latitude                    : 65.080275
[Composite]     GPS Latitude                    : 65.080275 N
[GPS]           GPS Longitude                   : 22.723358
[Composite]     GPS Longitude                   : 22.723358 W
[Composite]     Google Maps Url                 : https://www.google.com/maps/search/?q=65.080275,-22.7233583333333

Sounds like I may need to remove all of the examples from the config file and just leave the stuff I added for the GPS URL creation.

Phil Harvey

Just remove this line from the config file:

Duplicates => 1,        # make -a default for the exiftool app

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MrVideo

Thanks, I just commented it out.

While there I noticed CoordFormat was set for 6 decimal places. I changed it to 8, I mentioned that what was there wasn't enough. So, I fixed two birds with one stone.

What started all of this was my working with the 1500+ images from my recent trip to Iceland, which I am getting ready to put up on my website. Many of the images will result in many panoramas. Iceland's landscape is rip for creating panoramas.  8)

Phil Harvey

Quote from: MrVideo on November 03, 2021, 10:37:29 AM
Many of the images will result in many panoramas. Iceland's landscape is rip for creating panoramas.  8)

Yes, Iceland is very photogenic.  Here is one of my pictures from there, and you'll find more if you browse around in my photostream.

- Phil

MrVideo

Looks like you had great weather. Most of our two weeks was cloudy and lots of times w/ rain.

Phil Harvey

Yes, we were very lucky and it was a very dry summer.  My daughter got mostly rain when she was there the year before.

- Phil

MrVideo

This might be the name of the waterfall you were asking about on your flickr page:

https://www.europeanwaterfalls.com/waterfalls/budareyrarfoss/

I too visited that village, three times. The weather forced us back that many times.

Phil Harvey

I think you're right, thanks!  I've updated the description of that picture.

- Phil