copy nef raw Nikon Maker "file number" to xmp-aux field "image number"

Started by tommyzebman, February 11, 2019, 12:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyzebman

What is the most simple way to: copy nef raw Nikon Maker field "file number" to xmp-aux field  "image number" ?  Is it okay to do this in the raw nef file?

Okay adding update.  I see Xmp-aux definition has changed.  So then the related question is what is the proper field for an image number/file number (whatever) to reside so that most image management programs can read the data and copy if needed and how do I copy this number into this field?  Many cannot read the Nikon maker field "file number", so I would like to copy this number to field that most programs can read.

Thanks.

Okay I think I figured it out.  exiftool "-xmp:imagenumber<filenumber"  dir          However, I would still like to verify if this is the best place to save this image count number.

Phil Harvey

This seems like a reasonable tag to write, but I'm no expert on what other image management programs expect.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).