Unable to edit possibly corrupted XMP metadata

Started by Nekzuris, November 11, 2023, 11:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nekzuris

I created a 360 panorama from RAW photos from my DJI Mini 3 with Autopano Giga but some application don't recognize it as equirectangular panorama (Google Photos and Facebook from the app, website is ok).

I've tried Exif Fixer tool but it doesn't do anything to this photo and I think it's because the XMP metadata are corrupted because I found that if I delete all XMP metadata with -XMP:All= then Exif Fixer work and Google Photos display it correctly.

I would like to know from you if there is a better solution, thanks.

StarGeek

Here's the validate check on that file
C:\>exiftool -g1 -a -s -warning -validate "Y:\!temp\x\y\APG bad xmp.jpg"
---- ExifTool ----
Warning                        : Entries in IFD0 are out of order
Warning                        : Tag ID 0x0112 Orientation out of sequence in IFD0
Warning                        : Entries in ExifIFD are out of order
Warning                        : Non-standard format (string) for ExifIFD 0x9286 UserComment
Warning                        : Tag ID 0x9286 UserComment out of sequence in ExifIFD
Warning                        : [minor] IPTC ApplicationRecordVersion too short (0 bytes; should be 2)
Warning                        : [minor] IPTC TimeCreated too short (6 bytes; should be 11)
Warning                        : [minor] IPTC DigitalCreationTime too short (6 bytes; should be 11)
Warning                        : [minor] XMP is missing xpacket wrapper
Warning                        : Different 'rdf:about' attributes
Warning                        : Missing required JPEG ExifIFD tag 0x9101 ComponentsConfiguration
Warning                        : Missing required JPEG ExifIFD tag 0xa000 FlashpixVersion
Warning                        : Missing required JPEG IFD0 tag 0x0213 YCbCrPositioning
Validate                        : 13 Warnings (4 minor)

The XMP is missing xpacket wrapper is most likely the problem with the XMP.  You might try this to fix it
exiftool -xmp:all= -TagsFromFile @ -xmp:all /path/to/files/

There is some data loss, as the output of exiftool -XMP:All went from 162 lines to 159 lines, so you'll have to decide if that was important data or not.

The EXIF errors can probably be fixed at the same time with (do not use on a RAW file)
exiftool -xmp:all= -EXIF:All= -TagsFromFile @ -xmp:all -EXIF:All /path/to/files/

That just leaves some incorrectly written IPTC data which probably can be ignored or deleted, as the XMP and EXIF data also holds the same data.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).