Apple Live Photos (JPEG & MOV) renaming

Started by jens0771, February 17, 2019, 12:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jens0771

Long time lurker here. I've been using exiftool for super basic things like sort photos by year & month into folder and renaming them to my preferred date/time filename format.

Anyways, I got new iPhones for the wife and I, and now we are taking Live Photos which complicates my previously basic needs for exiftool. For Live Photos to work, I need the JPEG and the MOV in the same folder. I can easily rename the JPEG as done previously but I need to rename the MOV also so I have two overall questions.

1. Is it possible to rename the MOV based on a same name JPEG file?
A Live Photo of mine contains a IMG_0030.JPEG and IMG_0030.MOV. In exiftool, can I rename both files based off the creation date of the JPEG? So something in context of: for files that are IMG_0030 (no extension), rename both (creation date) of IMG_0030.JPEG.

2. Is there a proper EXIF tag that I could copy the original filename (IMG_0030) to for both the JPEG and MOV?
I would like to document the original file name for the two files of a Live Photo so that if later down the road, for whatever reason, the file name mismatch (therefore breaking the Live Photo feature) I could repair them by the original filenames.

I'm guessing that for what I want to do exiftool isn't going to be a one stop shop, but I'd like to extend it's power as much as possible to reduce the number of steps that I have to go through to accomplish my goals. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: jens0771 on February 17, 2019, 12:03:36 PM
1. Is it possible to rename the MOV based on a same name JPEG file?

Yes.  Just add -tagsfromfile %d%f.JPG to the command.

Quote2. Is there a proper EXIF tag that I could copy the original filename (IMG_0030) to for both the JPEG and MOV?

Not a stanadard EXIF tag, but there is a 3rd party OriginalFileName tag in EXIF.  However, you can't write EXIF to MOV, so maybe XMP:OriginalFileName makes more sense because you can write this to both file types.  This is a standard tag used by GettyImages.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jens0771

Thanks Phil! I'll take a look at the -tagsfromfile and try and work it out on my own. I may be back in a few days asking for help with my command line but it's better to fail on my own up to the point of throwing my laptop out the window.