ExifToolGUI V5.16 under Win10 gives access violation in shell32.dll

Started by HansS713, February 27, 2019, 05:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansS713

In (German) Win10 pro V1809 (Build 17763.316) I get directly after start:

---------------------------
Exiftoolgui
Access violation at address 7517D637 in module 'shell32.dll'. Read of address 06A50070.
OK   

And I can not go to any folder.

After close I see

[Window Title]
Exiftoolgui

[Content]
Cannot save GUI settings

[OK]

Compatibility setting for Win7 does not help. It's in my own "C:\Tools" folder.
Does anybody know how to get ExitToolGUI running in Win10?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Flakie

I had the same problem. Also graphics in preferences were all black and unreadable.
Fixed by editing shortcut to program to run as administrator and setting compatibility mode to xp sp3 (I think this is what actually fixed it).

Not actually used the program yet but startup errors and GUI graphics are now working.

obetz

Quote from: HansS713 on February 27, 2019, 05:55:37 AM
Compatibility setting for Win7 does not help. It's in my own "C:\Tools" folder.
Does anybody know how to get ExitToolGUI running in Win10?

I'm running ExifToolGUI also with a German Win 10 1809 without any problem. I run it as a restricted user, no admin rights, no compatibility mode. Defender is active. Therefore it doesn't need to be a Win 10 specific problem.

Did you simply unpack exiftoolgui516.zip downloaded from https://exiftool.org/gui/exiftoolgui516.zip to c:\tools and nothing else?

Where resides your ExifTool.exe? The suggestion from ExifToolGUI_readme.txt: "for exiftool.exe, the BEST place is inside C:\Windows directory" is not suitable!

Do you have write access to the folder where ExifToolGUI runs? It needs to write files next to the exe.

Did you try to delete ExifToolGUIv5.ini?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that the OP from HansS713 was pretty old.

Oliver