News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Extract GPS-Tracks from tomtom bandit mp4 files

Started by rdbath, March 04, 2019, 03:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdbath

Hi everybody,

I would like to extract the gps tracks from my tomtom bandit actioncam ( https://www.tomtom.com/de_de/action-camera/action-camera/ ) mp4-files.
There is already a topic about extracting GPS information from mp4 files ( https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=5095.0 ) but the proposed solutions don't work for the tomtom mp4 files.

With " exiftool -ee -v3" I was able to extract some metadata: https://gist.github.com/rdbath/b0bde0329d430cf1bc68c2a3842e56da

There is a proprietary GUI-tool called "TOMTOM BANDIT STUDIO" to extract the tracks but I would like to script my imports so I am looking for a solution where I can extract the gps tracks from the command line.

I would really appreciate any hints how to get the tracks extracted.

regards,
Thomas

Phil Harvey

Hi Thomas,

Send me a (small) sample video and the track extracted by TOMTOM BANDIT STUDIO and I'll see what I can do.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Thomas,

I got your samples, thanks.  ExifTool 11.30 (just released) can extract streaming GPS and accelerator information with the -ee option.  Also, new to me is that this camera stores periodic jpeg previews, which can all be extracted with a command like this:

exiftool -ee -previewimage -b -W %d%f_preview_%.4c.jpg FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rdbath

Hi Phil,
thanks a lot for your awesome work. Now I am finally able to extract my gps-tracks from the commandline  :) ;) :D ;D

With exiftool -p ~/path_to_my_gpx_fmt/gpx.fmt -ee -ext mp4 -w %f.gpx I can now batch process all my videos and get gpx files without touching a GUI.

regards,
Thomas

rdbath

In the meantime I have extracted some gps tracks from videos and for most of them it works very well.
Just for some of them I get a warning "Warning: [minor] Unrecognized or bad TTAD data - " and only some of the trackpoints are extracted.
Is there something I could do to track down the reason why I can't extract all trackpoints from these videos?

Phil Harvey

Sure.  Send me one of these samples and I'll take a look (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 11.33 (just released) should fix this.

- Phil