Problem adding 0xfa# tags

Started by Darkertan, March 08, 2019, 12:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkertan

Greetings,

I need to check if, by adding Photoshop:Photoshop_0x07a0 and Photoshop:Photoshop_0x07a1 with a value to a .jpg, I can restore lost photoshop paths from custom jpgs edited with a simple script(nothing to complicated, it just send some resizing parameters to a software like IrfanView and shrinks jpgs).

The problem is that the command line says that the tags I'm trying to add are undefined, while they can be pin-point extracted from a "correct" image. Tried adding them in the photoshop's config file in the exiftoo's config folder but nothing happens.

I don't know if I'm using them wrong like :
exiftool.pl -wm cg -Photoshop:Photoshop_0x0fa0=maniIRFR.8BIMAnDsÓ..null.AFStl[...] a.jpg
(write mode is optional there as i was doing some experiments with it)
or there is a better way to add these type of tags to a jpg.

Thank you for your help.

Phil Harvey

The photoshop_paths.config file available in the full distribution provides the user-defined tags necessary to write the photoshop paths.  Details are provided in the comments at the top of the file.  Typically you would use this config file to copy paths from one file to another.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Darkertan

Thank you Phil, I 'm still no able to write tags the way I want, but I was able to see that the jpgs losing photoshop's paths rise "Bad APP13 resource data" error when i try to do a full paths copy from the originals to them.

Do you have any idea on how to solve that error? I tried qith google but i didn't find anything useful

Phil Harvey

Send me a sample and I'll take a look (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Darkertan

Let me add a sudden twist:

-While I was editing a "corrupted" sample image to send you as an example with the commands, I did another test run with the newly saved "corrupted" image as pathcopy destination and it worked. I was able to copy the original Path whitout the "Bad APP13 resource data size" error.

With "corrupted" I mean that Photoshop gives a warning with "Adobe Photoshop damaged data" but the  jpg opens fine aside the missing Path.
Dunno if  re-saving the image with Photoshop, after any edit, restores the resource data size and effectively solves the error, but for now i will try this way.

Again, Thank you Phil for your support.

Phil Harvey

It is nice that Photoshop agrees that the data is corrupted.  And helpful that it loads the file anyway (I have seen it crash or just not open the file in the past).

- Phil