Version 11.33 - Enhanced writing capabilities for MOV/MP4 videos

Started by Mac2, March 30, 2019, 03:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

I've just read this sentence "Enhanced writing capabilities for MOV/MP4 videos " in the release notes, but I could not find any specifics.
My impression was so far that ExifTool does not write to (most?) video formats. Has this changed?

I've also read that writing HEIF/HEIC is now possible. This is great!
What can be written/read? XMP? QuickTime tags? All tags read which are not listed as read.only?

Phil Harvey

What has changed is that a large number of tags are now writable, but it can only modify existing tags.

The HEIC write ability may not yet be compatible with other software since I'm currently writing XMP in the same location as MP4, but it looks like Apple writes it in a different place.  It could also write QuickTime tags if they exist.  I need to see about obtaining more HEIC samples from various sources to see what is going on.  Do you have any HEIC samples with metadata from an Adobe product?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mac2

I have Lightroom CC and Classic CR, which seem to handle at least some of the HEIC sample images I have here. It's all a bit fuzzy, as so often with Adobe.
If you have specific requirements, let me know what you need. I can edit the metadata and produce the XMP sidecar file. As far as I can tell, Lr does not update the metadata in the HEIC file itself, not even dates and times or the embedded partial XMP record.

Phil Harvey

OK. thanks.  I was hoping it would write XMP in the file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mac2

Adobe's documentation on HEIC support is sparse, as usual.
As far as I can tell from my experiments and the info I have found on the web, they just create/update a sidecar file.
Adobe software often works in wondrous ways... ::)