News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Newbie getting the hang of it! Quickest way of running a batch?

Started by b3nb123, March 28, 2019, 08:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3nb123

I've just looked into using ExifTool to open RAW files from the Fujifilm X-H1 in Lightroom 6.14 (The last version of Lightroom before the subscription plans)

I struggled to understand how to run exiftool, I know it's supposed to be run in command line, or terminal. I'm sure this is probably the most asked newbie question! Please, can anyone point out a nice newbie guide for learning how to run this software?

I did find ExiftoolGUI, and managed to run a script I found the code for     - exiftool -model="X-T2" *.RAF     which worked, Lightroom thought the X-H1 files were from an X-T2 (The two cameras do share the same sensor) and did open them, I was able to edit them and export them. All worked fine, Exiftool is a great solution to quite a major problem I was about to have!

This process would be something I'll do a lot now I use this camera, so can someone talk me through the best workflow, any simple way of dragging and dropping, or any super quick way of processing a whole folder to change the camera model like this? Looks like I can get it to work, but by copying and pasting text I've saved etc, would be lovely to have some sort of executable or batch file to  quickly set to work!

Any help appreciated!

Phil Harvey

This may be the easiest way for you:

1. Rename "exiftool(-k).exe" to "exiftool(-model='X-T2' -ext raf -k).exe".

2. Drag and drop folders containing RAF images onto the renamed app.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

b3nb123

Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for- Thanks for that. Such a simple addition to my workflow it'll be no bother at all!
Is there a command to stop it from producing the _original backup files?

b3nb123

If it's in a folder with RAF fuji raws and NEF Nikon raws, will it only affect the fuji?

Phil Harvey

Yes, it will only process RAF files because I added -ext raf to the arguments.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

b3nb123

Phil Harvey

b3nb123

b3nb123

My tests all worked, until I tried doing the exif change for real, and got the following error:

Error renaming temporary file to C:/Users/ben/Desktop/Beth/DSCF9814.RAF
Warning: [minor] RAF version 0201 not yet tested - C:/Users/ben/Desktop/Beth/DSCF9814.RAF

Any idea?

Phil Harvey

Send me a sample version 0201 RAF file and I'll test it to be sure nothing has changed.  (my mail is philharvey66 at gmail.com)  Fuji hasn't changed the RAF format in a long time, so it is probably fine.

The rename error is likely due to a permission problem.  Be sure you have write permission for the file and directory.

- Phil

b3nb123

Thanks Phil, I did encounter a weird Windows 10 'You Need Permission to Copy' Message, so I'll assume it's that and try again before I think it's a real problem

Phil Harvey

Got it, thanks.  The "not yet tested" warning will be removed for RAF version 0201 files in ExifTool 11.34.

- Phil

b3nb123

Thanks Phil, so you got it to work? Weird how my test pictures earlier in the week worked but ones I tried today didn't!
Is there a working Exiftool I can use?
Appreciate your help!

Phil Harvey

Any recent version of ExifTool will write this file.  The warning is informational only.

- Phil

b3nb123

But if I drag and drop I get the message that the file was skipped due to the error?
Excuse my inexperience I'm going to try a reboot and see if it helps!

Phil Harvey

The permission error is unrelated to the "not tested" warning.

- Phil

b3nb123

OK, rebooted and all is OK! Looks like I either had a weird computer glitch, or (more likely) saw the warning as a failure message!

Phil Harvey

You did have a glitch with the renaming error that has thankfully disappeared now.