Nikon D4 EXIF maker notes not visible

Started by Tic tac, October 11, 2012, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tic tac

Hi,

I'm trying to see my Flash exposure compensation setting, but I am not able to.

Anyone know why that is?

Thanks

Phil Harvey

The D4 doesn't have a built-in flash.  But the external flash compensation should be extracted as ExternalFlashExposureComp.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Tic tac

I dont know why... I can see the ExternalFlashExposureComp entry, but it shows "0" instead of the "-1.5" or whatever value I had my camera set to for flash compensation.

Phil Harvey

Interesting.  If you send me a few samples with different (known) values of flash compensation I'll take a look into this.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Tic tac

Phil Harvey

Thanks!  I got the samples.  The flash information is new for the D4 and needs to be decoded.  I'll work on this.

Could you tell me what is the model of the flash unit you are using?

Thanks.

- Phil

P.S. There is a lot of other flash information that needs to be decoded (see here).  If you want to help by providing samples for other settings, please let me know.   (You don't need to upload the full NEF images, just send me the EXIF output from "exiftool -o %d%f.exif FILE".)

Tic tac

Hi !

I use both a Nikon SB-900 and SB-910.

Not sure what other flash settings would be useful to you, let me know what you need, it it's not too time consuming, I'll try to provide some samples.

THanks!!!
Yvon

Phil Harvey

Hi Yvon,

Thanks!  It would be useful to know the exact model used for the last pictures.

As far as more samples goes, how about these?:

1) Bounce flash
2) Commander mode on
3) Repeating flash mode
4) GN mode

- Phil

Tic tac

ok give me a few days, I'll get you that.

Yvon

Tic tac

Hum, by the way, I'm not 100% sure which flash I was using when I did the samples I sent you. I'm pretty sure it was my SB-910, but...

Next time I will pay attention to that.

Phil Harvey

Thanks!

I'll put it down as the SB-910, which makes sense because it has firmware version 7.01.  The SB-900 firmware versions I have seen are in the range 5.x.

- Phil

Tic tac

Files just sent to you with what you were looking for.

Yvon

Phil Harvey

Excellent, thanks!  This allows me to decode some useful flash information!!

Look for this to appear in ExifTool 9.04 when it is released.

- Phil

Tic tac

Well... I just installed 9.04 and it does not seem to show flash exposure compensation for my D4...

Do you confirm that the update is in this version of the tool?

Thanks...

Phil Harvey

Hi Yvon,

The tag name is FlashCompensation.  I tried this on some samples, and ExifTool 9.04 extracts this for me from D4 images.

- Phil

Tic tac

Oh, ok yes, I was able to see it, it works... sorry

I was trying to see this data through the Metadata viewer plugin for Lightroom, from Jeffrey Friedl, but that does not work. I suppose Jeffrey needs to update his plugin as well... (would you know if that is true by any chance?)

Thanks again
Yvon

Phil Harvey

Hi Yvon,

You should be able to update the copy of exiftool that Jeffrey's plug-in is using.  The only trick is finding out where it is stored so you can update it.

- Phil