Additional Info: Where does this go and how do I get it in?

Started by ruedigers, April 07, 2011, 04:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruedigers

Hi all,

I have a collection of images about Masterpieces of old artists.  They have their information in an exported meta-file (from portfolio), and along with keywords, they have some more descriptive information.  I tried to import them as I learned to do with keywords:

exiftool -sep "| " -comment="M1009| Malername: Rubens, Peter Paul| Geburtsdatum: 28.06.1577| Geburtsort: Siegen| Sterbedatum: 30.05.1640| Sterbeort: Antwerpen| Bildanzahl: 124" 4888.jpg

Well, the pipe stayed there as a seperator.  So I imported them a multi-line:

exiftool -sep "| " -comment="M1009
Malername: Rubens, Peter Paul
Geburtsdatum: 28.06.1577
Geburtsort: Siegen
Sterbedatum: 30.05.1640
Sterbeort: Antwerpen
Bildanzahl: 124" 4888.jpg

I also tried to get them into ImageDescription, but still, the pipe remains there.

exiftool.ori -sep "|" -ImageDescription="M1009|Malername: Rubens, Peter Paul|Geburtsdatum: 28.06.1577|Geburtsort: Siegen|Sterbedatum: 30.05.1640|Sterbeort: Antwerpen|Bildanzahl: 124" 4888.jpg

My problem is not the pipe-symbol, replacing that would be a piece of cake.  I would love to import this information in a multiline-text.  Also, since this is information about the painter and neither the painting, the photo nor the photographer, where does this information truly belong?   ???

Any help would be great!  8)

Cheers,
Rudy

Phil Harvey

Hi Rudy,

Quote from: ruedigers on April 07, 2011, 04:49:01 AM
exiftool -sep "| " -comment="M1009| Malername: Rubens, Peter Paul| Geburtsdatum: 28.06.1577| Geburtsort: Siegen| Sterbedatum: 30.05.1640| Sterbeort: Antwerpen| Bildanzahl: 124" 4888.jpg

Well, the pipe stayed there as a seperator.  So I imported them a multi-line:

Yes, because Comment is not a List-type tag.  The -sep option is only used to separate list items.

QuoteMy problem is not the pipe-symbol, replacing that would be a piece of cake.  I would love to import this information in a multiline-text.  Also, since this is information about the painter and neither the painting, the photo nor the photographer, where does this information truly belong?   ???

I'm afraid I don't understand.  Why don't you use multi-line text then?

Maybe try looking at the XMP iptcCore and XMP iptcExt tags to see if it fits there.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).