XMP Toolkit and Creator tags

Started by alex.v, July 25, 2023, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex.v

Hello.

I have been using Exiftool for quite long time. However, one month ago when I last used it, it was automatically writing

XMPToolkit                      : Image::ExifTool 12.64
Creator                           : JohnSmith

Now when I copy tags or create a new file I don't see these tags being added. How exactly can I check if they were automatically created and if they were not created why is it so? I didn't update my Exiftool so it seems really strange.

Phil Harvey

XMPToolkit is updated if you write any XMP tags.  This is common practice for all XMP writers.

Creator is never written automatically -- you would have had to specifically write that tag.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

If you are copying tags, XMPToolkit will be written if you copy any XMP tags.

Quote from: alex.v on July 25, 2023, 07:48:21 AMHow can I know if its updated? Only using read feature?

By "it", do you mean XMPToolkit?  Use the -v2 option in your write command to see exactly what is written.  XMPToolkit will be written if any XMP is written.

QuoteBecause I checked it online and using exiftool read feature and I don't see as if it would be updated.

Online?  Other software won't show XMPToolkit.  ExifTool will though.

QuoteI simply dont see any XMP Toolkit value in metadata. There is no such name and value.

All XMP writers write this information, but only ExifTool treats it as a tag.  You can set it to whatever you want with ExifTool.  See the XMP x Tags documentation for details.

QuoteI used to see it when I had changed anything before

This hasn't changed.  You must have changed the way that you "see" it.  It would be helpful if you were more specific.

- Phil

Oops.  I see you deleted your post while I was responding.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).