XMP Config file

Started by sjDelaney, May 07, 2016, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjDelaney

Do I need to create a custom Config file for XMP to be read fro LR?

Up until now I've been using LR to generate the original XMP files, but I see that ExifTool is much faster, and I tend to keep the "Automatic Update XMP" preference turned off when I'm using LR, to improve performance, and manually update the sidecars with "cmd S".

My thought is to generate XMP files from NEFs using ExifTool, and include the keywords I want updated.

So...  Does anyone know if LR will pick up on xml files, maybe flagging them as being updated outside of LR, but at least able to read them and the keywords it's looking for  ----  using the native config file, or do I have to create a custom file for LR.

The keywords I'm updating are nothing special; Subject and Hierarchical Subject.

-sd

Phil Harvey

ExifTool will read any XMP -- the tags don't need to be pre-defined to do this.  (See the 8th paragraph in the XMP tag name documentation.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

sjDelaney

Thanks, this is resolved.