News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Original version of ExifToolGUI currently unsupported

Started by Phil Harvey, November 12, 2012, 07:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Sorry for the bad news, but it seems as if Bogdan is no longer supporting his ExifToolGUI program, and hasn't responded to any questions in this section of the forum for quite a while.

I will leave this section of the forum up, but I'm afraid that you're on your own here because I can't answer questions about ExifToolGUI myself.

I will of course continue to support the exiftool command-line application and Perl API in the other sections of this forum.

- Phil

Edit:  An updated version of ExifToolGUI is now available (read here)
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

afeininger

Oh, after some weeks I guessed it could be something severe and constant... but I can understand that it must be a very hard work supporting a software as a single developer - and the public surely is not always very grateful  >:(

So I say Thank You for giving us a very useful and versatile piece of software and for the very friendly and open-minded support!

hening

Hi Phil

your site lists a couple of other GUIs for ExifTool - is there any of these you would recommend? Since ExifToolGUI is no longer supported by its author.
What I need to do is to edit the focal length and aperture.
Thank you for your advice - as well as for your application!

Kind regards - Hening.

Phil Harvey

You can use ExifToolGUI to do this already.  Just add the tags to the workspace (FocalLength and FNumber).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hening

Thank you for your fast reply! - Hening.

lumen

What a great program, I mean both, EXIFtool and the GUI, especially together  :)
Works at least for now (Windows 7 64bit), hope it will run in near future too eventhough support might not exist..
I haven't come across with any other GUI for exiftool

Growltiger

Hi Bogdan, I write this here because I can find no other way to contact you and I hope that you will one day read this message here.

Thanks and congratulations on ExifToolGUI. It (combined with the wonderful ExifTool) is the best way of seeing EXIF data that I have found.

I have a suggestion which would make it much better. And I think it might be easy for you to do.

There is no easy way to use your program to get the EXIF for images from the web, in other words images seen in a web browser.

I am NOT suggesting you write plugins for Firefox, IE etc. I think that would be a lot of frustrating work.

All the browsers let you right click on an image and then either Copy or Copy Image. For example one can then run Photoshop and do File/New then Paste.

So what your program is missing is the ability to paste an image into it.

(I know one can drop an image file onto its shortcut, but that doesn't help.)

I hope you like this suggestion.

StarGeek

Quote from: Growltiger on August 24, 2013, 06:40:12 AM
There is no easy way to use your program to get the EXIF for images from the web, in other words images seen in a web browser.

I know there's at least one extension for FireFox that lets you view some Exif data, though it didn't always work well.  Checking just now I see there are several.  The one I have is ExifViewer 2.00, which I can't fully recommend. 

QuoteAll the browsers let you right click on an image and then either Copy or Copy Image. For example one can then run Photoshop and do File/New then Paste.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that would work.  I believe, at least under windows, when you copy an image to the clipboard, it's only copying the image data, basically creating a Bmap copy of the image.  I don't believe it will copy over things like metadata.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Growltiger

StarGeek - you are correct. I just tried it and all the EXIF data is lost when copying.

In that case what we need is a Firefox browser extension that will, somehow, run ExifTool (preferably GUI).

Phil Harvey

What about using Jeffrey's online EXIF viewer?:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

- Phil

Growltiger

How comprehensive are the results compared with exiftool?

Phil Harvey

He's using ExifTool 9.27 right now, so he's pretty up-to-date.

- Phil

Growltiger

Ah - I didn't know that it used ExifTool, that is very helpful.

Perhaps it already exists, but it would be a good idea to have a list of all the systems that use ExifTool, together with the version number they use.

The problem has been that a number of EXIF programs that used to be good seem to have been abandoned by their creators and have become less and less useful, for example PhotoME and Opanda.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Growltiger on August 27, 2013, 06:17:54 AM
Perhaps it already exists, but it would be a good idea to have a list of all the systems that use ExifTool, together with the version number they use.

Here is a partial list, but I am not going to keep track of the versions that they use.

- Phil

Growltiger

That is helpful, thanks. I had never noticed that list.