How to not make "_original" files?

Started by thany, January 01, 2014, 05:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thany

I just noticed ExifTool makes these "_original" files when saving new metadata... How do I prevent it from doing that? I have my backups in place, so there's no need for another.

On top of that, they pollute my image directories so I'll have to clean up after it, and (more importantly) cause unnecessary slowdown due to HDD activity noticably when writing large files.

Is there a switch that allows me to write (or not write) these files?

Phil Harvey

The option to do this is -overwrite_original

There will be no speed increase, but the _original files will not be created.

You can use the -delete_original option to clean up any "_original" files you may have already generated.

Read the application documentation for more details about these options.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

latusaki

Are there any circumstances where -overwrite_original will not work? I have added it to my commands but I still get _original. This is one of the commands

[-Description=A Description, -Author=An author, -Copyright=A Copyright, -Title=A title, target/test-classes/desert.jpg, -overwrite_original]

This is an array, which is then used to create a CommandLine object executed by an apache executor. Everything else works as expected..

I tried adding -o target/test-classes/desert.jpg but then I am getting 'Cant create JPG from scratch' error.

Phil Harvey

Do you have an -execute option in your command?  If so, the -overwrite_original must be added before each -execute.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).