increase image size metadata (without affecting actual image)

Started by FabTal, March 13, 2014, 09:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FabTal

Hi

I am completely new to this and am hoping one of you may be able to help me out. I am using a remote stitching programme for panorama images that requires images to be submitted in a certain format. For instance, I use a Nikon D800, but in order to simplify uploads, I use exiftool -Model="Nikon D200" dir to change the model to Nikon D200. This works just fine.

However, on a recent shoot I mistakenly took some images in a smaller format than required (i.e. the programme requires all images to be shot in L while I shot in S). As I know that smaller images on a D800 are still much larger than on many other cameras, I was wondering if it was somehow possible to 'fool' the programme by changing the image metadata to the pixel size it recognises as large. I thought I could use this: exiftool -PixelYDimension="3200" dir or exiftool -Pixel_X_Dimension="4800" dir but anything I have tried so far doesn't work. Could anyone please help me out with this rather strange request? Thanks in advance!

Phil Harvey

ExifTool will not change the actual dimensions of the image.  To do this, you must use something like Photoshop to resize the image.  I'm guessing that this is what you need to do.  After doing this, you could use ExifTool to copy all the metadata from an "L" image to the resized image, and this should fool any software that expects an "L" image.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

banana123

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 15, 2014, 08:31:48 AMExifTool will not change the actual dimensions of the image.  To do this, you must use something like Photoshop to resize the image.  I'm guessing that this is what you need to do.  After doing this, you could use ExifTool to copy all the metadata from an "L" image to the resized image, and this should fool any software that expects an "L" image.

- Phil

Hi friend
how can i make sure there wasnt a change in the pixels?
I tried to check the data of the images using PIL getData() but there was a change.

StarGeek

You can use ImageMagick[/tt] to check and compare each pixel.  See [url=https://photo.stackexchange.com/a/132064/37960[/tt]this Photo StackExchange answer.

You might try looking at the ImageDataHash that exiftool can calculate
exiftool -ImageDataHash file1.jpg file2.jpg

I think it stops at the EOI marker and won't read beyond that.  That is probably the problem with GetData, it's including the trailing data as part of the image.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).