Windows Powershell vs Powershell core/Powershell 7

Started by jammer, June 06, 2020, 04:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammer

Phil; again thanks for the great product.

Having read numerous replies concerning Powershell on Windows, I believe some clarification is in order.  Windows Powershell and Powershell Core(now called Powershell 7) are two different products.  Windows Powershell is installed with ever version of Windows, but Powershell 7 is a separate free package from Microsoft hosted on GitHub and has cross platform support(IMHO 99%).  I have converted all cmd bat files, and have successfully used Powershell 7 or it's predecessors for over an year, and have NOT experienced binary file contamination as exists with Windows Powershell.  I still use Windows Powershell GUI for development, but test via command line with Powershell 7.  It is "rumored" Powershell 7 will eventually replace Windows Powershell; has a very large GitHub following, which supports any long term concerns. I urge Windows users to evaluate Powershell 7(https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/releases) as a replacement for Windows Powershell and it's deficiencies .

I welcome any replies for additional information/clarifications or comments.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the clarification.  I was not aware of PowerShell 7.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).