jExifToolGUI: A java/Swing Windows/Linux/MacOS graphical frontend

Started by hvdwolf, June 28, 2020, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvdwolf

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....", I wrote pyExifToolGUI (a python/pyside graphical frontend for exiftool). In the past 6/7 years I had some major changes and hiccups in my life, but in 2019 I wanted to pick up again. However, pyside/QT went through some major software and license changes. Next to that: pyside is almost dead. As I had started writing in Android java, I decided to rebuild it in "pc" java, hence j(ava)ExifToolGUI. Also because building a graphical cross-platform tool in java is so much easier when it comes to OS dependencies.
I started one year ago, completely stopped in June 2019, and continued again this year in June.

I just released 0.99-beta.
I tested it on several Linuxes incl. Chromebook Linux Beta, on Windows 10 and MacOS.

You can find a Readme here.
A temporary website here.
And the (binary) releases here.
Some short "installation" instructions are here

Let me know what you think.

Note: Development on this project has stopped.  (read here)
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

Phil Harvey

This look promising, but I'm going to have to look into what is involved with upgrading to Java V11, and what it will break if I do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hvdwolf

Like mentioned on the releases page. There is the "jExifToolGUI-0.99-beta-win-x86_64.zip: A windows 64-bit executable including java V11. Unzip with paths!"

So that one has the V11 jre in the same folder as the exe. No need to install another java version.

So if you unzip that zip file, you get in "some" folder:
LICENSE                  <- text file (default GPL-3 license)
jExifToolGUI-1.00.exe    <- executable
jre                      <- folder containing the V11 jre

And o so stupid: my packaging script did not rename the exe to 0.99-beta. Well, I already mentioned it was a beta  ::)
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

Phil Harvey

Ah, right thanks.  I'm on MacOS and see you have a bundle for it too.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hvdwolf

I released the following version: 1.00-beta

Those who have the checkbox "Check for new jExifToolGUI version on program start" switched on in the Preferences will get an automatic popup.

Changelog 10 July 2020:

• Add "Edit lens tab". Enables to save (additional) lens data and to create and save lens configurations for future use.
  • Add SQLite database with exiftool tags, groups, families.
  • Reconfigure menu.
  • Make compatible again with java 8. Split MacOS and Windows in a "with jre" and a "without jre" package (for those downloads with included jre, the jre version is still V 11).
  • Add "lens data" view option under "Common Tags".
  • Add exiftool supported languages for displaying metadata tags (also in "export metadata"). See under Preferences.

Meaning that java 8 is now supported again, also means that many Windows and MacOS users can now download the version without the extra JRE (java runtime environment) as on most Windows 7/8/10 and MacOS versions "of the last years", this java version 8 (actually 1.8_xyz)* is installed.

You can find the binary releases here.
A readme here.
A temporary website here.
Some short "installation" instructions are here (but these need to be adapted now for the macos/windows "without jre" packages.)

ToDo?:
- Custom views and Edits: A Maintenance screen for users to create a view with their desired tags for viewing (all tags possible), and for editing (only writable tags).
- Translations? Do users want that? Requires translators to help in translating.

*: Java changed the naming conventions for their versions. Everything below version 9 is 1.8_xyz (or 1.7, 1.6, etc.). As of 9 they are called version 9, 10, 11, etc.

hvdwolf

Release of version 1.01-beta

This is a bug fix.  :(

Changelog 1.01, 11 July 2020:

• Fix (stupid) mistake in parameters for gps and location view

Download here.
See post above for other links.

hvdwolf

Version 1.1.0

releases: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/releases

Changelog

• Add work-around for displaying RAW images in the left panel based on Thumbnail/PreviewImage.
  • add: Extract all previews/thumbs from selected image(s): "(menu) Other -> Export all previews/thumbs from selected".
  • housekeeping: (re)create temp work folder on program start and delete (incl. contents) on program exit.
  • Add splash screen to Linux and Mac versions. (Windows versions crash for some reason)
  • Fix: debian .deb package. Icon name incorrect in jexiftoolgui.desktop.
  • Internal: Go back to good old Linux/Unix versioning scheme.

FixEUser

I can't find a "Thumbs up" or "+1" or "Thank you" for your great work.
Highly appreciated!

hvdwolf

Thank you.

I still have a long ToDo list:
- Add "load directory" next to "load images"*
- Add option to add RAW image viewer to preferences (and optionally make it default for all images as well)
- Make xmp & iptc & "sub"-xmp keywords/subjects/PersonInImage more dedicated (Known error: I currently do the PersonInImage wrong: as one string instead of String+)
- Custom views/Edits.
- slideshow with all metadata (full-screen) left-right pane image/info (or vice versa).
- Make "Quick Reference Guide".
- Translate application??? (requires translators, so only when volunteers do that. Next to Dutch and English, I do speak French, German, Danish but not enough to make good translations)

*: But did you know that if you open a folder, click an image and do Ctrl-A/Cmd-A, you can select all images at once in that folder? Likewise multi-select options with Ctl-Select/Cmd-Select and/or Shift-Select.

hvdwolf

Version 1.3.0

Changelog

• Add "XMP_IPTC_Strings+" tab. Currently contains Keywords, Subject and PersonInImage. Allows for more fine-grained options when compared to simple "overwrite" in XMP-tab (and might be extended with more).
  • Add "simple"xmp-pdf:keywords to XMP tab
  • Fix: multiple errors in XMP tab
  • Add xmp:credit to the defaults.
  • Under Help menu: add "System/Program Info" to show some info (in case we need to troubleshoot).
  • Fix: Copy defaults on Exif & XMP (copy Artist/Creator, Credit and Copyrights back in if somehow removed)
  • embed splash screen in jar; also works on windows

Version 1.2 (not released)

• Add button "Load Directory" and (menu) "File -> Directory"
  • Issue #32: First remark -> field size.

hvdwolf

Released version 1.4.0

full changelog: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/blob/master/Changelog.md

Changelog 1.4.0
  • Add "add favorites/load favorites" to "Your Commands" tab and to "Exiftool Database" tab. You can save your favorite exiftool commands and/or queries to the database.
  • Add option to configure and use RAW image viewer: For all images (clunky on McOS as MacOS wants it own viewer), or only for raw images. Other formats (txt/audio/video/etc) will be opened according mime-type with their default app (if installed).
  • Linux: Set default font to SansSerif instead of Linux/java default Dialog bold. (Will be configurable for MacOS/Windows/Linux in 1.5)
  • Fix: Issue #36: Fix linewrap in exif:description and xmp:description.
  • Fix: Issue #37: Tif(f) files not previewed. They are now differently handled based on java version.

• tiff images with preview/thumbnail images inside are displayed (this was already working).
    • tiff images without preview/thumbnail inside can only be displayed on java V11 or higher. Use a "full jre" version (comes with V11) or install V11 or newer.
  • Add "update" function. This new 1.4 does an extension on the database. You don't want to lose your user data (currently only lens configs if applicable).
  • Internal: add program icon to all windows (top-left)(not on MacOS as MacOS does not allow it).
  • Internal: DB diagram was displayed in external browser window. Is now displayed in internal scroll panel. It is "uncoupled" from the main window so you can keep it open.

mrtngrsbch

Thank you very much @hvdwolf for taking up this wonderful tool!
also many thanks to Phil, for so many years of hard work ;-)

Count with me for the translation to ES !

best
martin

hvdwolf

Released version 1.5.0

full changelog: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/blob/master/Changelog.md

Changelog 1.5.0
  • Make app translatable: Change (almost) all "fixed" texts to "property based" translatable texts.

•    
    • Translated into German => Big thanks to Karsten Günther.
    • Translated into Spanish => Big thanks to Martin Gersbach.
    • Translated into Dutch.
    • Preferences Language tab: Select your language of preference. By default in English if jExifToolGUI is not translated for your language yet. But you can select Spanish, German or Dutch if your system is in Chinese ;)
  • Preferences -> Look & Feel tab: File dialog (open/select files/folder) Option to select JFileChooser (shows same dialog on all systems) and Awt Filedialog (looks more "native Operating system" like but less flexible)
  • Added the TwelveMonkeys imageIO library. Adds (additional) display support for bmp/jpeg/jpeg-2000/PNM (PBM/PGM/PPM/PAM)/PSD/TIFF/HDR/IFF/PCX/PICT/SGI/TGA/SVG/WMF
  • Complete rewrite of previews (with correct aspect ratio and rotation) and image view. Change default viewer to internal java viewer ("Display Image" or double-click preview). It will show the image resized to full-screen (unless smaller). RAW images are displayed in "external" RAW Image viewer (if configured in Preferences).
  • MacOS: Use sips on "High Sierra" and newer to convert heic to a jpg preview (and image view). This is very alpha and mostly doesn't work.
  • Preferences window now "tabbed". Currently pretty empty but supposed to grow.
  • Fix: issue #53 xmpexport missing? Over the years this has changed to "Sidecar exports". Now added under (menu) Metadata: "Export Exif sidecar file(s)" and "Export XMP sidecar file(s)".(Known shortcoming: currently only works on paths and images without spaces. Comparable exiftool functions do work on other places: why not here? something in exiftool or me doing something wrong?)
  • Fix: Issue #54 Repair csv output (export metadata).
  • Request implemented Issue #51 Reverse buttons in Rename Photos window
  • Fix (MacOS): Issue #40 Load directory don't work on OSX.
  • Request implemented Issue #43 Edit Data->Gpano layout
  • Fix: RAW viewer could not be called correctly when path or file name contains spaces.
  • Fix: UTF-8 was not used in Preferences dropdown for "Language to use to display metadata tag names/descriptions".
  • Fix: UTF-8 was not used for output in "View data" tab in the table and neither in "Your commands".

mrtngrsbch

wow! good news!
The community is very grateful that you decided to port ExifToolGUI to Java

best,
Martin

Scarparo

Quote from: hvdwolf on August 15, 2020, 08:32:06 AM
Released version 1.5.0

Changelog 1.5.0
  • Make app translatable: Change (almost) all "fixed" texts to "property based" translatable texts.

•    
    • Translated into German => Big thanks to Karsten Günther.
    • Translated into Spanish => Big thanks to Martin Gersbach.
    • Translated into Dutch.
    • Preferences Language tab: Select your language of preference. By default in English if jExifToolGUI is not translated for your language yet. But you can select Spanish, German or Dutch if your system is in Chinese ;)
  • Preferences -> Look & Feel tab: File dialog (open/select files/folder) Option to select JFileChooser (shows same dialog on all systems) and Awt Filedialog (looks more "native Operating system" like but less flexible)
  • Added the TwelveMonkeys imageIO library. Adds (additional) display support for bmp/jpeg/jpeg-2000/PNM (PBM/PGM/PPM/PAM)/PSD/TIFF/HDR/IFF/PCX/PICT/SGI/TGA/SVG/WMF
  • Complete rewrite of previews (with correct aspect ratio and rotation) and image view. Change default viewer to internal java viewer ("Display Image" or double-click preview). It will show the image resized to full-screen (unless smaller). RAW images are displayed in "external" RAW Image viewer (if configured in Preferences).
  • MacOS: Use sips on "High Sierra" and newer to convert heic to a jpg preview (and image view). This is very alpha and mostly doesn't work.
  • Preferences window now "tabbed". Currently pretty empty but supposed to grow.
  • Fix: issue #53 xmpexport missing? Over the years this has changed to "Sidecar exports". Now added under (menu) Metadata: "Export Exif sidecar file(s)" and "Export XMP sidecar file(s)".(Known shortcoming: currently only works on paths and images without spaces. Comparable exiftool functions do work on other places: why not here? something in exiftool or me doing something wrong?)
  • Fix: Issue #54 Repair csv output (export metadata).
  • Request implemented Issue #51 Reverse buttons in Rename Photos window
  • Fix (MacOS): Issue #40 Load directory don't work on OSX.
  • Request implemented Issue #43 Edit Data->Gpano layout
  • Fix: RAW viewer could not be called correctly when path or file name contains spaces.
  • Fix: UTF-8 was not used in Preferences dropdown for "Language to use to display metadata tag names/descriptions".
  • Fix: UTF-8 was not used for output in "View data" tab in the table and neither in "Your commands".

Hello!

Congratulations for this work!

I've installed the version 1.5 on macOS Catalina, but this version don't Load Directory nor Load Images... I click on these options, but nothing happens.