jExifToolGUI: A java/Swing Windows/Linux/MacOS graphical frontend

Started by hvdwolf, June 28, 2020, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvdwolf

I can see where it "seems to" stop, but I have no idea why. I have a test user with seemingly the same configuration and it works fine for him.
I will compile another version with extensive logging.
I'm currently on holiday returning home this weekend. Most probably Sunday I will deliver a new version (which will be a 1.6.0-beta as well). It has no use going back to 1.5.2 when 1.6.0 is almost ready (and which might even function directly).
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

hvdwolf

@acnomad

Please find a link for a 1.6.0-beta3 version: https://mega.nz/file/0UlhVboL#nEI4uxUTPs57CjKsw3iQ6WCP0pYoJZ4YgvMu6E3mX1s
It has functionality for setting the log level which is normally at a light level (among more new functionality which will be mentioned on release).
This version is hard-coded to the highest loglevel (if it still does not complete starting on your system, you will never be able to change it to higher log level)
Please collect the logs again and please add to a post.

Note: Normally bugs can be reported at: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/issues

Note to other users: Do not use this beta. It is hard-coded to the highest log level, which will create large log files and will slow down the application due to the extensive logging.
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

acnomad

hvdwolf

Thanks.
This is not a jExifToolGUI issue but an ExifTool installation issue.
16:57:25.551 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG o.h.j.controllers.CommandRunner - commandrunner [/Users/andy/exiftool, -ver]
16:57:25.551 [AWT-EventQueue-0] TRACE o.h.j.controllers.CommandRunner - Did ProcessBuilder builder = new ProcessBuilder(cmdparams);
16:57:25.560 [AWT-EventQueue-0] TRACE o.h.j.controllers.CommandRunner - tasklist: Can't locate Image/ExifTool.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Image::ExifTool module) (@INC contains: /Users/andy/lib /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /Users/andy/exiftool line 37.
16:57:25.560 [AWT-EventQueue-0] TRACE o.h.j.controllers.CommandRunner - tasklist: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/andy/exiftool line 37.
16:57:25.561 [AWT-EventQueue-0] TRACE org.hvdw.jexiftoolgui.mainScreen - raw exiftool version: Can't locate Image/ExifTool.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Image::ExifTool module) (@INC contains: /Users/andy/lib /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /Users/andy/exiftool line 37.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/andy/exiftool line 37.

From the logs it seems you installed Exiftool inside your users home folder, but that version is not correct/complete. How did you install ExifTool? It seems you did not do this from the MacOS dmg.
Please remove the incorrect version in your homefolder.
Please install the MacOS version from the exiftool.org home page (currently  ExifTool-12.06.dmg).
jExifToolGUI will detect the deleted configured (and incorrect) exiftool and will search the PATH for a valid one. It will then find the installed version inside /usr/local/bin. If it can't find it, it will ask you where you installed exiftool.

Edit: I will try to catch these kind of errors as well. I do catch errors but had not looked at exiftool installation errors (yet).

hvdwolf

Released version 1.6.0

releases: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/releases
full changelog: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/blob/master/Changelog.md

Changelog

• New menu "Tools"

•       
    • User defined Metadata combis
    • delete Lenses
    • delete Favorites
  • Add option to create your own combination of tags in "Tools -> User defined Metadata combis" to write to your images (see help page here or via the help button. This has been extended with the option to also use tags that are not known to Exiftool via a custom config file: Create your custom config file, Create your own custom tag combination and add the config file when saving your combination. This allows for example, to add your own set of tags to XMP, Exif, IPTC, Composite, etc. Exiftool and jExifToolGUI will displays the tags, but you need to have the custom config file to write them as well. As examples: see the Exiftool example or see the isadg-struct.cfg online to add ISAD(g) data to the XMP set as new category xmp-isadg. (ISAD(G) is General International Standard Archival Description)

•       
    • "pre-installed" custom metadata sets (for use, as example and for modification (save as)):

•          
      • isadg: like above mentioned
      • gps_location: All gps and location tags in the 3 categories EXIF,XMP and IPTC.
      • Google Photos: All tags that Google Photos uses or recognizes.
    • Common Tags in the View Tab now also include your own defined "User defined Metadata combis" by name.

•          
      • Note: If you added your custom tags under one of the existing categories like XMP, Exif, IPTC, etcetera, they will also be displayed there.
    • Export Metadata (Menu Metadata -> Export Metadata) now supports the export by category (exif, xmp, etc.) but also from our user defined metadata combi set.
  • Add drag & drop of images. Drop them anywhere on the main program window and they will be loaded into the application.
  • Preferences -> System: "Show coordinates in decimal degrees (Exiftool defaults to Deg Min Sec)"
  • System: "Use G1 group instead of G for viewing": G will show main category like EXIF or XMP. G1 will show sub groups like for EXIF it will show ExifIFD, IFD0, etc. and for XMP like XMP-x, XMP-exif, XMP-dc, etcetera.
  • Preferences -> System: Make log level user definable for troubleshooting.
  • In the tab "Your commands": If you specify "-h" or "-htmlFormat", the output will switch to html instead of "plain text"
  • MacOS: Apple likes it big. The application starts with a bigger window on MacOS to show all GUI components.
  • Feature request: issue #66: images count. An image counter is now displayed in the bottom left showing how much images have been loaded.
  • (Internal) Better separation between Gui elements and program logic.
  • Fix: issue #60 Fix 2 combined errors. There was a check whether exiftool "delivers" data, but not if the first line contains a warning or error in case of faulty metadata data. This resulted in "hanging" on loading a file, or hanging when requesting specific info from a file.
  • Fix: fix export metadata (again).

hvdwolf

Version 1.6.1 released

releases: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/releases
(growing) online manual: https://hvdwolf.github.io/jExifToolGUI/manual/index.html
full changelog: https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/blob/master/Changelog.md

Changelog
  • (Menu) Help -> Online manual added. I'm slowly working on an online manual (in English).
  • Added sidecar exports of MIE ("The only metadata format that doesn't suck" ;)) and EXV (next to already available XMP and EXIF).
    (All Sidecar files can be read as "images". This makes it possible to read (for example) a .mie file together with a number of images. You use the .mie metadata file as "Copy from selected image" and use it to populate one or more images. For this reason there is no import function for these Sidecar files as you can use them as just described.)
  • Fix Preferences screen: Somehow 2 options were "falling off the screen": "Credits" under "Always add.." and "Check for new jExifToolGUI version on program start" (under System).

This will be the last "large, spamming" post. Possible next posts will be oneliners linking to releases page and changelog (unless users want it otherwise)

hvdwolf

Phil Harvey

I've made this topic sticky so it will always appear at the top.  But I'm not sure that the "exiftool" Application board is the best location.  What would people think if I moved it to the ExifToolGUI board and somehow broadened that board description to encompass other GUI's?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on October 01, 2020, 04:19:16 PM
I've made this topic sticky so it will always appear at the top.  But I'm not sure that the "exiftool" Application board is the best location.  What would people think if I moved it to the ExifToolGUI board and somehow broadened that board description to encompass other GUI's?

Heh, I was actually thinking of bringing up this idea this morning.

But moving it to the ExifToolGUI might cause confusion, since there's years of posts there about the old GUI and no real way to indicate that they're not related to this GUI.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

hvdwolf

Thanks.

Just to mix in.
I think that a new subforum like "Graphical Interfaces for Exiftool" might cover it better (and I've noticed that to some/many people the abbreviation GUI is unknown). Having a broader "general" GUI sub-forum will indeed enable it for other apps as well, be it multi-platform, Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, IOS, etc.  In that case the users also get the choice as one app might be more suited for their needs than others.
And ExifTool GUI can either be part of it, or left on its own. It has indeed many posts and was for a very long time the most popular one.

StarGeek

Could the ExiftoolGUI subforum be made into a sub-subforum?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on October 01, 2020, 05:28:17 PM
Could the ExiftoolGUI subforum be made into a sub-subforum?

Yes it could be.  But I was thinking of combining the two at least initially, and then splitting off jExifToolGUI posts into a separate board if there were enough of them.  (I don't want to create a new board for a very small number of posts.) However, I'm a bit worried that people could get confused between the different GUI's.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

djjc

Thursday, October 01, 2020, 9:05 p.m.
I was pointed in this direction re your GUI EXIF tool and I downloaded the Mac Versions but upon clicking the dmg file nothing seems to happen.  I am using Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra). You frontend to Phil Harvey's tool seems to be just the thing I need to find the EXIF data in my Fuji image files.  I am not very computer literate and thus terminal commands are way above my head. SO, when I looked at you frontend text and schematics this is totally what I would like to use on my image files.

Can you suggest anything I should try to install your app?

I downloaded both the Mac versions of your app and they are just sitting in the download folder.
Don J J Carrol

hvdwolf

Quote from: djjc on October 01, 2020, 08:10:30 PM
I downloaded the Mac Versions but upon clicking the dmg file nothing seems to happen.
It is not an auto-installing app. If you double-click the zip it will be unpacked in the same folder giving you a (big) dmg.

If you double-click a dmg, which is actually a virtual disk, it will appear in the left navigation panel in your Finder. If you then click that "disk" in the left panel of the finder, you will find the app bundle inside. I mentioned that in Versions and Installation, but I guess I need to add another line/sentence describing how to deal with dmg files ;)
Note that, just as with a USB-stick, you need to click the "up-arrow" next to it to safely "disconnect" it.

Cassio Duarte

Dear hvdwolf,

I would be extremely thankful if you could clarify me about how to use the GUI version gently suggested to me by StarGeek. It is not clear to me how to open raw files (in particular Fujifilm's RAF) on the left panel. I tried both by the Load Directory/Images without success. Does the app work for that kind of file? On preferences I noticed we should type the image directory and also RAW viewer location -what I fulfilled-, but nothing happened when I clicked to open the files... Could you tell me if I am doing correctly?

My intention is to change Fujifilm camera model name from x-t2 to x-t4 on the EXIF tags of my RAF files... Is it possible to do that using the GUI version?

Thanks very much in advance!