Insert metadata of central wavelenghts and bands in tif file

Started by jlapajne, October 30, 2020, 10:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Your -ExifIFD, -GPS and -IFD0 tags won't do anything.  These EXIF subdirectories are coping with the -EXIF block copy.  But your command should work if EXIF existed in the original JPG.  Can you try this on one file, and confirm that EXIF exists in the original, then show us the exact commands you used and the output of exiftool -a -G1 -exif:all on both files?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jlapajne

Ok here is my transformation flow:
1.) I open original tif file, do something with it and save it in other directory (during this metadata is lost)
2.) I run the following command:

exiftool -TagsFromFile  path/to/original/file -EXIF -XMP path/to/edited/file

Actual command:

C:\Users\janezla\"exiftool.exe" -TagsFromFile C:\Users\janezla\Documents\programs\RedEdgeImageSet\0002SET\000\IMG_0002_1.tif -EXIF -XMP C:\Users\janezla\Documents\programs\RedEdgeImageSet\aligned\IMG_0002_1.tif

3.) I put changed image and original image in different directory and run the following command to check if metadata is copied:

exiftool -a -G1 -exif:all directory/of/both/files

Actual command:

C:\Users\janezla\"exiftool.exe" -a -G1 -exif:all C:\Users\janezla\Documents\programs\RedEdgeImageSet\csv_tt

An here you can see output: http://prntscr.com/veuxp8

StarGeek

I believe the problem is that you can't copy the EXIF as a block from a tiff file because the image data is part of the EXIF block, unlike a jpeg where the image data is separate from the EXIF.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

jlapajne

hm ok. But I am sure something cen be done right? :)
I mean..if I can insert it one by one, why couldnt I insert it in a bach (at least I hope this)

Phil Harvey

You can't copy an EXIF block from a TIFF file (see the description for the EXIF tag in the Extra tags documentation).  This is because the EXIF block (or what we're calling the EXIF block here... IFD0 and all subdirectories) actually contains the image data in a TIFF file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Sorry, I forgot the title.  I shouldn't have mentioned copying EXIF as a block for a tiff file.  You'll have to copy the EXIF tags using the config file and -EXIF:All.  But the XMP tags can be copied as a block as shown.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).