Affinity Photo

Started by Hubert, March 11, 2017, 03:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubert

Hi,

Just wondered if you had any plans to support image files created by Affinity Photo https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/new-features/?

Thanks for a great application!

H

Phil Harvey

Generally, ExifTool doesn't support proprietary formats written by various software packages.  The exception is if I get a lot of requests.  But no requests so far to support this format, so no plans at the moment.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

billw

Just adding my vote to support the .afphoto file format.

And to say thanks for writing and sharing this awesome tool.

-- Bill

Ferdinand Paris

Another request to support Affinity Photo's .afphoto file format.  This program is getting increased traction as people look for alternatives to the monthly Adobe tax.  It is a very viable alternative.  I can't see that its file format is any more proprietary that many others already supported by ExifTool.

Thanks for such a great tool and thanks for listening.

Pšenda

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 11, 2017, 07:32:50 AM
Generally, ExifTool doesn't support proprietary formats written by various software packages.  The exception is if I get a lot of requests.  But no requests so far to support this format, so no plans at the moment.

- Phil

Hi Phil,
I would like to add a request to support the Affinity application format.
The family of users of these applications is growing, as is the scope of their applications (APhoto, ADesigner and APublisher for Win/Mac/iPad), which use an identical file format.
Although it is a proprietary/undocumented format, I think it should not be difficult to "crack" it at the metadata level (file thumbnails are also displayed in File Explorer).
Since ExifTool is used by APhoto itself to manage metadata for image files, I think Serif (Affinity application developer) himself might be interested in adding their format to ExifTool.
Thank you very much

Phil Harvey

Could you attach a couple of small samples with metadata?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hubert

I've emailed you some samples Phil.

Phil Harvey

Hi Hubert,

I got them.  Thanks.

- Phil

raf0mar

adding my vote to support the .afphoto file format. thanks.

Hubert

Since I sent those samples to Phil in 2021, Serif have brought out a new version of Affinity Photo which is not backward compatible with the original. Essentially, .afphoto format files saved in Photo 2 can't be opened in Photo 1. Seems too much of a moving target...

Phil Harvey

Sounds like a nonstarter then, unless it isn't too hard to support both versions.  Can you send a few samples of the new format? (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil