News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

EXIFTOOL with Service Providers

Started by bquimby1, March 15, 2021, 12:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bquimby1

My two service providers GoDaddy and IONOS don't support EXIFTOOL in their PERL package.   IONOS doesn't support PHP's read_exif_data() function.  I  have a PHP application that uses command line EXIFtool and Perl scripts that use Image::ExifTool.  Is there a way for me to install EXIFTOOL in my personal space with these providers?  I'm thinking that I can create an EXIFTOOL directory and install it there but need confirmation before I do this and maybe an environment variable to help Perl find the package?

Phil Harvey

Good news:  You don't need to install ExifTool to use it.  Just unpack the .tar.gz package and move "exiftool" and the "lib" directory to wherever you want and run it the command line exiftool from there.  For your Perl scripts, just add this lib to the @INC in a BEGIN statement before using Image::ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bquimby1

Thanks Phil.  EXIFTOOL is a very well thought out package.  I actually don't need the libraries on my websites.  I run them on my Mac to manipulate the EXIF data in images there.   I have it running from the command line on my IONOS site.  I simply tar'd up the code from /usr/local/bin on my mac and moved it to IONOS.  I updated the PATH environment variable and that was that (ain't PERL wonderful).   Now all I need to do is get my PHP website to find it and I'm good.  It took me less than 10 minutes to make it work from the command line and a few more minutes to make the exiftool command in my PHP scripts a variable!   Thanks again!