Hello from Spain. I need some help in copy and past metadata

Started by francus, June 03, 2021, 07:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

francus

Hello, I have just installed exiftool on my macbook pro. I am a newbie on computer and all this things. Terminal for me is a bit like reading japanesse (unless you are japanesse you will understand).

The reason I installed exiftool is because I want to see some jpg files that I have in my computer, in my camera. When if I put the jpg into the SD card, then SD card into my nikon camera. Camera does not read this file. Someone in other forum has recomend me to copy every metadata from a jpg not edited out of the camera and copy it to the edited jpg. The reason to do that is because I want to print some photos from my camera using a canon cp-300 printer, and it doesnt work on my mac (no drivers available for new mac), but luckily I can print from camera using the USB. But photos from camera unedited look bad..so I would love to be able to see a nice edited jpg and be able to print from camera.

I dont know how to do that. I just opened terminal and write exiftool, and a lot of things appear. I need simple and easy instructions. Could somebody explain me how to copy all metadata from one photo and then copy it to an other one?

Thanks in advanced for any useful help.

Phil Harvey

1. install exiftool for Mac

2. Open Terminal app

3. In Terminal, type "exiftool -tagsfromfile" then press SPACE

4. Drag and drop file containing metadata you want to copy from onto the Terminal window

5. In Terminal window, press SPACE then type "-all:all" then SPACE again.

6. Drag and drop file you want to copy metadata to

7. Select Terminal window, then press RETURN

Your finished command should have looked something like this in the terminal window:

exiftool -tagsfromfile /Users/phil/Desktop/sourcefile.jpg -all:all /Users/phil/Desktop/test.jpg

Good luck.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

francus

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 03, 2021, 08:09:15 AM
1. install exiftool for Mac

2. Open Terminal app

3. In Terminal, type "exiftool -tagsfromfile" then press SPACE

4. Drag and drop file containing metadata you want to copy from onto the Terminal window

5. In Terminal window, press SPACE then type "-all:all" then SPACE again.

6. Drag and drop file you want to copy metadata to

7. Select Terminal window, then press RETURN

Your finished command should have looked something like this in the terminal window:

exiftool -tagsfromfile /Users/phil/Desktop/sourcefile.jpg -all:all /Users/phil/Desktop/test.jpg

Good luck.

- Phil

Thanks very much for your rapid response!! lets see If I am able to do it. It is the first time also using terminal hehe. I will let you know if it works. :)