News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Latin characters not printed in IPTC fields

Started by Tristan29Photography, August 28, 2021, 02:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristan29Photography

Hi there !

I know that this thread has been discussed several times, but I did not manage to find a solution that work for my case.

So here is the thing :
I am trying to edit jpgs from a csv file that contains many Spanish characters like ñ, ó, ...

But it comes out with errors, like ViÒales instead of Viñales.

I tried to  add these charset in the command from the exiftool faq
UTF8
Latin
Latin2
DOSLatinUS
DOSLatin1
MacLatin2
-L

Here is the command :
exiftool -sep "," -csv="/Users/tristanquevilly/output.csv"  "/Users/tristanquevilly/Exiftool/" -overwrite_original -m -charset exif=UTF8

But still they come out with errors as you can see in the attached image.

Any help you be more than welcomed.

StarGeek

Try adding -iptc:codedCharacterSet=utf8 to the command when you write the data.  The data you list in that image is IPTC data and -charset exif=UTF8 will not affect IPTC data.

Also, what OS are you using?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Tristan29Photography

Quote from: StarGeek on August 28, 2021, 02:42:56 PM
Try adding -iptc:codedCharacterSet=utf8 to the command when you write the data.  The data you list in that image is IPTC data and -charset exif=UTF8 will not affect IPTC data.

Also, what OS are you using?
Hi StarGeek

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer ! And you solved my issue in one interaction !!! I works like a charm now  :D

- By the way I pasted a wrong command in my initial message, indeed, the correct data was "-charset iptc=CHARSET" and not "-charset exif=CHARSET"
- I am using OSX High Sierra

So for whoever interest here is my final code :
exiftool -sep "," -csv="/Users/tristanquevilly/output.csv"  "/Users/tristanquevilly/Exiftool/" -overwrite_original -m -iptc:codedCharacterSet=utf8

1000 thanks again and have a great day !!