News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Canon AEBShotCount incorrect (but correct with exiftool)

Started by plattyaj, December 09, 2021, 09:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plattyaj

For reference I found this old post that indicated it was fixed in exiftool: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=5701.0

I am trying to pull Canon's AEBShotCount from raw Canon files (Canon 90D is the camera). exiftool shows this:

| | | | + [CanonCustom2 group 1 directory with 8 entries, 104 bytes]
  | | | | | 0)  ExposureLevelIncrements = 0
  | | | | | 1)  ISOSpeedIncrements = 0
  | | | | | 2)  AEBAutoCancel = 0
  | | | | | 3)  AEBSequence = 0
  | | | | | 4)  AEBShotCount = 5

In Perl I have this: $info->{'AEBShotCount'};

and I print it, but it becomes this (for the same photo as above):

IMG_2021_12_09_2954.CR3, "Unknown (5)"

I also did an experiment with the value of 3, in that case the Perl interface reports this:

IMG_2021_12_08_2953.CR3, "7 shots"

For now I'm coding the Perl to look at the string and convert it to the right value but other workarounds are welcome.

Phil Harvey

The -v option gives the raw value.  This is converted via the lookup table shown in the Tag Name documentation.  To get the unconverted value, use the ValueConv option for GetValue() or set the PrintConv option to 0 using Options().

If you know what a value of 5 indicates, let me know and I'll add it to the lookup.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

plattyaj

Many thanks, Phil (for everything!)

The 90D supports auto brackets for 2, 3, 5 & 7 exposures so I tested with all four flavors, the following output has the unconverted and converted values. It's not just the missing values for 5 & 7: 2 & 3 point to 5 and 7 respectively.

AEB set to 2 shots:
IMG_2021_12_10_2959.CR3: PrintConv "5 shots", ValueConv 2

3 shots:
IMG_2021_12_08_2951.CR3: PrintConv "7 shots", ValueConv 3

5 shots:
IMG_2021_12_09_2954.CR3: PrintConv "Unknown (5)", ValueConv 5

7 shots:
IMG_2021_12_10_2961.CR3: PrintConv "Unknown (7)", ValueConv 7

Yes, you're correct that exiftool has the same behavior and I was getting confused with the -v output.

Phil Harvey

Thanks.

I'll patch this for the 90D, but I have no way to telling which other models also store AEBShotCount like this.

I wish manufacturers would be more consistent.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).