Geotagging not working with Panasonic Lumix GH6

Started by romanholiday, August 21, 2022, 01:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romanholiday

I use Geotag Photos Pro to add location to my RAW files. Geotag Photos Pro uses exiftool version 12.42 internally.

Well, sadly tagging fails with any RAW file from the Panasonic Lumix GH6 camera. I get the error message:-

Error: No size tag for IFDO:RawDataOffset

Then I tried using the latest command line exiftool version 12.44 and any attempt to write '-gps*' tags results in the same error message:-

Error: No size tag for IFDO:RawDataOffset

So, it this a limitation of exiftool? Are you aware and hope to resolve this issue soon?

Many thanks for an incredible useful utility that is exiftool  :)

StarGeek

It sounds like there's a big problem with the EXIF in that file.

What is the result of this command (replace "file.cr2" with your actual file)
exiftool -g1 -a -s -warning -validate file.cr2

This may require Phil's attention.  Can you make a sample file available in case Phil needs to look at it to see the problem?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

romanholiday

Thanks for your help StarGeek.

I ran the command and this is the result:-

---- ExifTool ----
Warning                         : [minor] Non-standard EXIF at TIFF-IFD0-JPEG-APP1-IFD0
Warning                         : [minor] Undefined value for MakerNotes:ClearRetouchValue
Validate                        : 2 Warnings (all minor)

I have some RAW files from the GH6 on my Google Drive. I can send you the link so that you can download them.

Thanks again.

romanholiday

I sent you a private message with a link to my Google Drive share. Thanks.

Phil Harvey

I can reproduce this behaviour with a sample GH6 RW2 file I have at hand.  I'll look into fixing this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

romanholiday

Thank you Phil!

I look forward to the fix soon...  :)

Thanks again for making such a wonderful tool.

StarGeek

Quote from: romanholiday on August 21, 2022, 03:10:36 PMI sent you a private message with a link to my Google Drive share. Thanks.

I forwarded the link to Phil in case he needs it.

Took me too long to figure out where to look at my messages.  Forgot all that had been moved to the very top of the page.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

I have a patch in place to address this issue but don't have any software that will display a GH6 image so I need some help with testing.

Could you verify that this ExifTool-edited image can be viewed OK with your software?:

https://exiftool.org/tmp/PanasonicDC-GH6.rw2

Thanks

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

romanholiday

I am so sorry for my late reply. I did not get any alerts about your post.

Anyway, I imported the file you supplied into Lightroom Classic and all seemed fine. The photo is of trees in a swamp/marsh. Then I tried to export it and it gave an error message "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged". If I go to the Develop module it says the same thing.

Then I tried importing it into the new non-classic Lightroom and it would not even import giving the same error message.

Sorry to be the bearer of this bad news  :-\

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks.  Unfortunately I can see nothing wrong with the file.  I need to see if I can find some utilities to display this file so I can do some testing myself.

- Phil

herb

Hello everybody,

As far as I understand has the Panasonic DC-GH6 a new "image-encoding-format".
I found this info at LibRaw: https://www.libraw.org/node/2710

Just my 2 cents
Best regards
herb

Hubert

On MacOS at least, there is practically no support for .rw2 images shot with a GH6. Even straight-out-of-camera files (downloaded from DP Review) do not display correctly in Affinity Photo or Graphic Converter.

I don't subscribe to Photoshop so I can't test with it, but Adobe's free DNG Converter (v 14.5) does convert straight-out-of-camera .rw2 files to .dng format. Unfortunately it errors with modified sample uploaded by Phil.

XnViewMP.app does display Phil's image and straight-out-of camera samples but I think it's probably using the embedded .jpeg thumbnail rather than the raw image data.

Attached are screen grabs of a straight-out-of-camera .rw2 file from a Panasonic GH6, as opened in Affinity Photo:

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 07.10.13.jpg

and Graphic Converter:

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 07.12.03.png

Results with Phil's modified sample are pretty much identical.

wywh

The latest Mac Adobe Lightroom Classic 11.5 or Adobe Photoshop 2022 23.5.0 can open a sample file P1010259.RW2 at:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/7519685592/panasonic-gh6-sample-gallery/1457424796

But that exiftool-edited file fails with:

"Could not open "PanasonicDC-GH6.rw2" because the file-format module cannot parse the file"

- Matti

Phil Harvey

Thanks everyone.  Obviously some work needs to be done here, so the 12.45 release will be delayed for at least a couple of weeks.  I don't want to update my MacOS 10.14 system so I need to find something that will convert/display these files on older Mac systems.

- Phil

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 26, 2022, 06:17:07 AMso I need to find something that will convert/display these files on older Mac systems.

Adobe Bridge will display the sample @romanholiday sent me, but won't display the edited sample.