Nikon RAW file corrupted

Started by Joanna Carter, December 20, 2022, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna Carter

I am helping someone who has processed his Nikon D100 RAW files in Nikon's own software and the metadata seems like it has Benn right royally screwed in the process. All the edits were added to the NikonApp section on the NEF file and several EXIF tags seem to be duplicated but with different values.

I have removed all the NikonApp stuff but I still have two versions, with different values, of the EXIF:Compression tag and the EXIF:Photometric Interpretation tag amongst others.

Any ideas if there is a quick "reset to camera" command?

StarGeek

First thing is to tell the person to never use Nikon software.  They don't properly maintain their software and their programs often mess files up.

Can a sample be made available?

It's likely that there may not be an easy solution.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Which software is this?  Current Nikon software, NX Studio, writes to separate files, not to the photographs.

Phil Harvey

The problem in general is using older Nikon software with files from newer cameras.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Joanna Carter

Quote from: Alan Clifford on December 20, 2022, 04:47:45 PMCurrent Nikon software, NX Studio, writes to separate files, not to the photographs

Actually, there is a switch in the preferences which does allow saving the edits in the NEF file.

Joanna Carter

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 21, 2022, 09:31:11 AMThe problem in general is using older Nikon software with files from newer cameras

Thanks Phil. That was the conclusion I had come to. And thanks to StarGeek as well.

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Joanna Carter on December 21, 2022, 06:51:21 PM
Quote from: Alan Clifford on December 20, 2022, 04:47:45 PMCurrent Nikon software, NX Studio, writes to separate files, not to the photographs

Actually, there is a switch in the preferences which does allow saving the edits in the NEF file.

I seem to remember I'd seen that now you've reminded me.

And, by the way, there is a little button on the bottom of all posts that says "More...".  I might have clicked on it accidentally on your post.  Sorry.