GH6 Issue Embedding JPG into RW2 using JpgFromRaw<=

Started by kconnors, December 27, 2022, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kconnors

First off, thank you so much for creating and maintaining such a great tool!

I use ExifTool to store "out of camera" JPGs inside the RW2 files created by Panasonic cameras.  An example of the command I use:

exiftool(-k).exe -v "-JpgFromRaw<=P1003543.JPG" -ext RW2 .

While this command works successful on files from my Panasonic G9 and GX850, I receive the following error when working with files from my GH6:

======== ./P1003543.RW2
Rewriting ./P1003543.RW2...
  Editing tags in: All ExifIFD IFD0 IFD2 MakerNotes SubIFD SubIFD2 TIFF
  FileType = RW2
  FileTypeExtension = RW2
  MIMEType = image/x-panasonic-rw2
  Rewriting IFD0
  Rewriting WBInfo2
  Rewriting DistortionInfo
  Rewriting XMP
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Error = Metadata too large to fit before fixed-offset image data
  Copying 1 image data blocks
Error: Metadata too large to fit before fixed-offset image data - ./P1003543.RW2
    1 directories scanned
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors
-- press ENTER --

I'm running ExifTool on Windows 10.  I receive the error with both version 12.50 and 12.52.

I've provided a sample "out of camera" JPG and RW2 to your email since they were too large to attach to this message. 

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks for your help with this!

Phil Harvey

You must reduce the size of your image to be able to write it into a GH6 RW2 file.  Read this thread for the whole, long, detailed story of this Panasonic stupidity.

Basically, this limitation is necessary to maintain compatibility with badly written RW2 decoders.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kconnors

Oh jeez, just read through that thread.  What was Panasonic thinking.  :(

Is there any other way that I can use ExifTool to stuff binary data into a .RW2 file?  My goal is simply to not have to keep file pairs (JPG and RW2) for each image.

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kconnors