Odd metadata for Make and Camera Model Name tags

Started by 11august, January 03, 2023, 12:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11august

Hi all !

Never saw this before... These two tags are marked as "--" which make no sense as the camera model and make are always displayed.

I've taken DXO samples to compare and the tags are correctly filled (i-e "Xiaomi" for Make and "M2101K7BNY" for Camera Model Name, which stands for Redmi Note 10 S).

I'm pretty confident that these photos are original and taken with a Redmi Note 10 S.

Any idea what could cause what appears to be a glitch ?

Thanks !

1.jpg

Phil Harvey

I have seen similar things written by pre-production cameras.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: 11august on January 03, 2023, 12:30:43 PMAny idea what could cause what appears to be a glitch ?

If you look at the -v3 (-verbose3) output, you can see that the dashes are the actual data and not a glitch on exiftool's part.

| 6)  Model = --
  |    - Tag 0x0110 (3 bytes, string[3]):
  |        044b: 2d 2d 00                                        [--.]
  | Warning = Tag ID 0x010f Make out of sequence in IFD1
  | 7)  Make = --
  |    - Tag 0x010f (3 bytes, string[3]):
  |        0457: 2d 2d 00 

There are a couple other unknown EXIF tags in that file that have the same value

| | 30) Exif_0x9a00 = --
  | |    - Tag 0x9a00 (3 bytes, string[3]):
  | |        02b0: 2d 2d 00 
  | 15) Exif_0x9a00 = --
  |    - Tag 0x9a00 (3 bytes, string[3]):
  |        00d2: 2d 2d 00                                        [--.]
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

11august

Thank you to both of you !

@Phil: what's a "pre-production camera" ? You mean pro camera for filmmakers ?

@StarGeek: interesting, thanks for the check. Do you think that that kind of data might be created by the integrated Xiaomi software/firmware ?

StarGeek

Quote from: 11august on January 04, 2023, 09:31:15 AMwhat's a "pre-production camera" ? You mean pro camera for filmmakers ?

I would think that it would be for an early version of the camera's software before going into full scale production, though since this appears to be the camera on a phone, that seems quite odd to me.

QuoteDo you think that that kind of data might be created by the integrated Xiaomi software/firmware ?

If it's coming straight from the phone and hasn't been edited by any software or app, then I don't see any other answer.

You might check to see if there's an update.  Some sites I googled seem to indicate there was an update last month, but they didn't appear to be the official site.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on January 04, 2023, 10:44:24 AMthough since this appears to be the camera on a phone, that seems quite odd to me.

Good point.  I haven't seen this for a phone.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).