Writing XMP metadata to PDF breaks PDF/A specification

Started by ww23, January 13, 2023, 11:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ww23

After modifying the XMP metadata of a PDF/A-3b file with
exiftool -XMP-pdf:Producer="Producer" Test.pdfthe preflight in Adobe Acrobat complains that the document doesn't conform to PDF/A-3b.
The original file was ok.
How can I modify XMP metadata while still preserving the PDF/A-3b standard?

Maybe this is relevant:
Producer
If the Producer entry (of PDF data type text string) is present in the document information dictionary, the document's Metadata must contain an equivalent en- try pdf:Producer of XMP data type AgentName where pdf refers to the Adobe PDF schema (the prefix is actually arbitrary).
(Link)

Phil Harvey

Your reference is not relevant since you are writing XMP:Producer and not PDF:Producer.

I suspect that the PDF/A-3b verifier may not like a PDF with an incremental update (although I can't verify this with a quick Google search), or possibly the PDF needs to be linearized.  Either way, you would have to run qpdf (or some other utility) to linearize the PDF and combine the incremental update after writing with ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 14, 2023, 08:17:45 AMI suspect that the PDF/A-3b verifier may not like a PDF with an incremental update (although I can't verify this with a quick Google search)

I did a more extensive google search when this question first popped up and couldn't verify it either.

Here's a page which describes the incremental update procedure.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).