comparing exif - amazon photos problems

Started by lorife, June 05, 2023, 03:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorife

Hello,

I have 2 images which backup on Amazon photo.
One of them gets the date-time correctly, while the other arrive on Amazon Photo with "no datetime".
I used exiftool to compare the exif data but I don't see any problems.
Could you help me understand what's wrong?
the correct one is 1238.jpg while the wrong one is 1229.jpg

thank you

greybeard

I don't know why Amazon treats them differently but they are different file formats and one has been modified by Picasa and the other one hasn't.

lorife

hello,
thank you for answering.
Where do you see they are different file format? aren't they both jpg?

lorife

It seems that this command:

-EXIF:all= -tagsfromfile @ -EXIF:all -unsafe

solved the problem.

But why? what's changed?
Here is the new exif

EDIT:

at this point, how is best to proceed?
Can I run this command with all my pictures? Or is there a way to update only the pictures with the problem?
Also, how to I run this command in all my pictures, is it like this?

exiftool.exe -EXIF:all= -tagsfromfile @ -EXIF:all -unsafe -r C:\Temp\aaa\

StarGeek

Can you share a sample image that amazon doesn't read properly?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

lorife

StarGeek

Has that file been edited by any program or is it straight from the camera?

There are a lot of problems with how that file was written.
C:\>exiftool -g1 -a -s -warning -validate Y:\!temp\aaaaa\image.JPG
---- ExifTool ----
Warning                        : Non-standard format (string) for ExifIFD 0x9000 ExifVersion
Warning                        : Non-standard format (rational64u) for ExifIFD 0x9201 ShutterSpeedValue
Warning                        : Non-standard format (rational64u) for ExifIFD 0x9203 BrightnessValue
Warning                        : Non-standard format (rational64u) for ExifIFD 0x9204 ExposureCompensation
Warning                        : Non-standard format (string) for ExifIFD 0xa000 FlashpixVersion
Warning                        : Non-standard format (string) for InteropIFD 0x0002 InteropVersion
Warning                        : Non-standard count (1) for GPS 0x0001 GPSLatitudeRef
Warning                        : Non-standard count (1) for GPS 0x0003 GPSLongitudeRef
Warning                        : Non-standard count (0) for GPS 0x0009 GPSStatus
Warning                        : [minor] Unknown value for GPS:GPSStatus
Warning                        : Non-standard count (0) for GPS 0x000a GPSMeasureMode
Warning                        : [minor] Unknown value for GPS:GPSMeasureMode
Warning                        : Non-standard count (1) for GPS 0x0013 GPSDestLatitudeRef
Warning                        : [minor] Unknown value for GPS:GPSDestLatitudeRef
Warning                        : Non-standard count (13) for GPS 0x001d GPSDateStamp
Warning                        : Missing required JPEG ExifIFD tag 0x9101 ComponentsConfiguration
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0100 ImageWidth is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0101 ImageHeight is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0102 BitsPerSample is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0106 PhotometricInterpretation is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0111 StripOffsets is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0115 SamplesPerPixel is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0116 RowsPerStrip is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0117 StripByteCounts is not allowed in JPEG
Warning                        : [minor] IFD1 tag 0x0212 YCbCrSubSampling is not allowed in JPEG
Validate                        : 25 Warnings (12 minor)

It's pretty common image straight from the camera can have a few warnings, but 25 is excessive.  The not allowed in JPEG tags aren't worth worrying about, but all the Non-standard wranings are a problem.

I think I would use a command like this to try and find/fix the problem files.  This is set to rewrite any file with more than 10 warnings but change that to a value you feel comfortable with.  If on Mac/Linux or Windows PowerShell, change the double quotes into single quotes
exiftool.exe  -ext jpg -if "${Validate;m/^(\d+)/;$_=$1} > 10" -EXIF:all= -tagsfromfile @ -EXIF:all -unsafe -r C:\Temp\aaa\

Do NOT run this command on any RAW file type (.NEF, .CR2, .ARW, ext) as the file may be damaged by rewriting the EXIF block.  The -ext jpg option will make sure it is only run on jpgs.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

lorife

Hello,
I'm not sure, these are very old pictures, probably they've been modified by Picasa and other softwares.
I tried running your code in a small group of pictures and it seems it worked.
I will try to run it on all of the pictures.
Thank you for your help

StarGeek

Quote from: lorife on June 07, 2023, 03:46:59 AMI'm not sure, these are very old pictures, probably they've been modified by Picasa and other softwares.

While Picasa will delete MakerNotes in certain cameras, most notably Nikon MakerNotes, in my experience it always seemed to correctly write EXIF and other metadata groups correctly.