Canon:OwnerName not writeable

Started by axel.hennig, January 11, 2024, 05:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axel.hennig

Hi,

I tried to write the Canon-OwnerName to an *.mp4 file (can be downloaded here) from a Canon EOS 80D but wasn't successfull.

I've used the following command (on Windows):
exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -OwnerName=test vid.mp4
And the result when running
exiftool.exe -G1 -OwnerName -a -s vid.mp4>out.txtis just:
[Canon]         OwnerName                       :
[ExifIFD]       OwnerName                       :
[XMP-exifEX]    OwnerName                       : test

I think the documentation says that Canon-OwnerName is writeable but even if I try
exiftool.exe -overwrite_original -Canon:OwnerName=test vid.mp4it is not working.

Can anybody help here?

Phil Harvey

The OwnerName is actually stored in the embedded ThumbnailImage in Canon MP4 videos.  ExifTool automatically extracts metadata from this thumbnail when reading, but doesn't automatically edit the thumbnail when writing.  I don't like asymmetries like this, but editing the thumbnail is very unusual and it could be confusing if ExifTool did this automatically.

Since it isn't automatic, you must do it manually.  This may be done with a command similar to the last one in the PIPING EXAMPLES:

exiftool test.mp4 -thumbnailimage -b | exiftool -ownername=test - | exiftool test.mp4 -thumbnailimage"<=-"

I'm not sure if this piping will work in Windows, so here it is as 3 separate commands:

1. exiftool test.mp4 -thumbnailimage -b > thumb.jpg

2. exiftool thumb.jpg -ownername=test

3. exiftool test.mp4 "-thumbnailimage<=thumb.jpg"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 11, 2024, 07:55:47 AMI'm not sure if this piping will work in Windows, so here it is as 3 separate commands:

I haven't tested it but it should work using Windows CMD.  PowerShell will corrupt binary data passed through pipes/redirection.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

axel.hennig

Thanks Phil, really great support.

Your answer is
  • interesting
  • working

axel.hennig

Quote from: Phil Harvey on January 11, 2024, 07:55:47 AMExifTool automatically extracts metadata from this thumbnail when reading, but doesn't automatically edit the thumbnail when writing. I don't like asymmetries like this, but editing the thumbnail is very unusual and it could be confusing if ExifTool did this automatically.

Would it make sense to add an option to do this automatically (syncing metadata and metadata in thumbnail)? In that case the user could decide if he wants that or not.

Phil Harvey

It probably would, but it would also be a lot of work because each manufacturer has their own way to store EXIF metadata in videos, and I don't think there is enough demand to warrant the effort.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).