How to remove rotation / orientation using ExifToolGUI?

Started by Zriax, August 07, 2024, 02:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zriax

I have a collection of iPhone videos that annoyingly have rotation metadata embedded which is causing all sorts of issues when using LosslessCut.

How can I remove this rotation/orientation data from a video file using ExifToolGUI? When I export the metadata log, it is showing at the end of the text as 'Rotation: 90', however I can't seem to find it on the Metadata tab within the GUI

FrankB

To find a tag, and add it to the Workspace, you can do this.

- Select ALL
- Use the find edit box. You can enter (part of) a tag name, or tag value.
- Press Enter to repeat the search.
- When found right click and choose 'Add tag to Workspace'.
add2workspace.jpg

In 'Program/Workspace manager' you can see the tag name that has been added.

workspace manager.jpg

Once you know the tag name you can also use ExifTool Direct '-tagname=' to update multiple selected files at once.
https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/blob/main/Docs/ExifToolGUI_V6.md#exiftool-direct-panel

Zriax

Quote from: FrankB on August 07, 2024, 04:26:43 AMTo find a tag, and add it to the Workspace, you can do this.

Thank you so much for the very informative reply - this is exactly what I was after however it seems like a few functions are missing from my version - or I may need to enable developer tools?

The 'find' and 'add to workspace' options seem to be missing - however when looking in settings to enable additional tools, I did find a 'show composite tags in view ALL' option which I enabled and now the rotation is showing in the ALL panel.

FrankB

My reply and screenshots was based on V6.3.4. You are running V5.1.6.

Version V5.1.6. was created by Bogdan Hrastnik, but he no longer supports it. So about a year ago I revived the project, and it is currently at Version 6.3.4.

So please download and install the latest version. And that includes updating Exiftool V12.70 which is now at V12.92.

Edit: I recommend downloading and installing the installer. The portable versions are aimed for people who want the most control.

More info:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=15053.0

https://github.com/FrankBijnen/ExifToolGui/releases

Zriax

Quote from: FrankB on August 07, 2024, 05:50:36 AMMy reply and screenshots was based on V6.3.4. You are running V5.1.6.

My apologies - thank you very much for clarifying, I downloaded V6.3.4 and managed to work through the steps.

I also managed to set the Rotation to 0 using
-Composite:Rotation=0 -n IMG_2872.MOV
But after processing in LosslessCut this, understandably, caused the exported (and rotated) video to revert back to its original rotation since the metadata didn't change.

I then tried removing the rotation metadata altogether using
-Composite:Rotation= -n IMG_2872.MOVbut this didn't seem to work  :'(

121.png

FrankB

Tags in the 'Composite' group are calculated. They are the result of other tags, and as such do not appear physically in the file. The majority can not be updated. To modify them, you need to update the tags that are used in the calclation.

This question is beyond my scope, or to put it plainly. "I dont know".

Maybe you can find the answer here: https://exiftool.org/TagNames/Composite.html or else post this question elsewhere in the forum.

Edit:
- You dont need to add the filename 'IMG_2872.MOV' GUI does that for you. It automatically adds all selected filenames
- If you click on 'Show Log Window; before you execute the command, you may see more messages, that can give you a hint.

Zriax

Quote from: FrankB on August 07, 2024, 09:08:14 AMTags in the 'Composite' group are calculated. They are the result of other tags, and as such do not appear physically in the file. The majority can not be updated. To modify them, you need to update the tags that are used in the calclation.

Thank you so much for all the help and advice - I've been looking into this and experimenting and I think I found the solution with
-Orientation=1 -n
Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future - it was a very frustrating error to come across and there didn't seem to be many others experiencing this  ???

Thanks again!

FrankB