Problems with writing copyright metadata

Started by fixle2011, February 21, 2022, 06:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixle2011

Hello guys,

I have the following problem. Everytime I try to write copyright metadata to my .mp4 file. It's not shown up inside the detail window of windows 10. How can I fill in the copyright info correctly, so it gets shown inside this window.

I tried: exiftool -copyright:"test" a.mp4

It says "updated" and creates two files named "a.mp4_original" after the operation, but no metadata is written...

I hope, you can help me.

Best regards,

me.

StarGeek

Quote from: fixle2011 on February 21, 2022, 06:59:34 PMI tried: exiftool -copyright:"test" a.mp4

It says "updated" and creates two files named "a.mp4_original" after the operation, but no metadata is written...

Metadata was written, double check it with exiftool to see.  For exampe:
C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original -Copyright="My Copyright" Y:\!temp\Test1.mp4
    1 image files updated

C:\>exiftool -G1 -a -s -Copyright Y:\!temp\Test1.mp4
[ItemList]      Copyright                       : My Copyright
[XMP-tiff]      Copyright                       : My Copyright

As you can see, exiftool wrote into the ItemList:Copyright (a Quicktime tag) and XMP-tiff:Copyright.

The problem is figuring out what tag Windows actually reads to fill in the Copyright property it will display.  I've documented what I could in this post.  I couldn't verify what Windows will read to fill the Copyright property, but I suspect that it is the Microsoft:Copyright tag (see Microsoft tags page).  Unfortunately, exiftool can't write this tag and I don't know of a program that can.

You might try MP3Tag, which can actually write MP4 files regardless of the name.  I know it has the ability to write some Microsoft specific tags, but I've never checked to see what they are.  A quick google search brings up this page which seems to indicate that it can write the Microsoft:Copyright.

With regards to the _original file, use the -overwrite_original option to suppress the creation of backup files.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

fixle2011

Thanks for the quick answer.

I already tried MP3Tag but it's also not working. The only software I know, it's working for video and audio files is "Vegas Pro" which I used before, but now I changed to "DaVinci Resolve 17.0" where it's not possible to add a Micorosoft copyright tag.

Maybe there is another possibility?