[Mac] Can not see the data with "-s"

Started by tkhkexif, May 30, 2023, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkhkexif

I had used this Exiftool sometimes before, so it seems that I can understand how to use this tool somehow.

Now I would like to see the meta data from my photo using "-s", but nothing appears.
Just showing "EXIFTOOL(1)           User Contributed Perl Documentation "

(After checking the exif data with "-s", I would like to change the file name.)

I can run the command "-FileModifyDate" directly, but it would be good for me to check with using "-s" before rename.

Regards,

Phil Harvey

It will show the documentation if you don't provide a file name.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tkhkexif

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Last time I used "-s" without providing any file name, the meta data of entire file in the indicated folder will displayed.

My understanding is wrong?

Phil Harvey

You can provide a folder or file name.  Either is fine, with or without -s

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tkhkexif

Thank you for updating.

With my understanding,
providing the folder means using "cd" command.
After moving specific folder, I can use the exiftool.

In this time, this can not be worked.

Hubert

You do not need to CD into the folder. You need to give its path as input to ExifTool.

For example,

exiftool ~/downloads

(on macOS) will list metadata for all valid files in the user's Downloads folder.

Phil Harvey

You can drag and drop the folder onto the terminal window instead of typing the path.

- Phil