-tagsFromFile
src.jpg
dst.jpg
-execute
-echo
**STOP** 883db520-a093-4e23-b834-fed5dcbf6f1d
-execute
-echo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-execute

-stay_open
false

shiregator

-wm cg does not seem to work for .mp4 files (the file remains unchanged).  If I remove the write mode (-wm cg) it does write the EXIF tags to the target .mp4 file properly. 

Is this expected/known behavior?  I've tried version 11.20.

Thanks!

StarGeek

What tag are you trying to write, because it's very rare for a mp4 to have an EXIF tag.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

shiregator

Hi StarGeek,

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "EXIF" then (I thought that was just the general group for all tags)?  I'm just trying to copy all the missing tags from "file1.mp4" to "file1_edited.mp4".  When I use my video editor it drops some of the tags, so I just want to add them back after editing. 

Thank you.

StarGeek

All Exif is metadata, but not all metadata is Exif.  See the Tag Names page.

Overall, exiftool has limited ability to write to video files.  Mostly just XMP metadata and a few Quicktime tags.  From what Phil has said, video metadata is poorly documented.

What tags are you trying to copy over?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

shiregator

Every tag that exists in "file1.mp4" that does not exist in "file1_edit.mp4".

-echo
**START** 883db520-a093-4e23-b834-fed5dcbf6f1d
-overwrite_original
-ver
-wm
cg
-tagsFromFile
file1.mp4
file1_edit.mp4
-execute
-echo
**STOP** 883db520-a093-4e23-b834-fed5dcbf6f1d
-execute
-echo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------