renaming multiple files in Windows 10, is this possible?

Started by Raffie77, April 02, 2019, 05:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffie77

Helo,

I use Exiftool on my mac because I want to rename my photos, and it works great!
My wife has a Windows 10 Laptop so I want to use Exiftool on Windows to.

Let's say I have a folder that contains 50 photos and I want to rename 10 of them.
On my mac I type in the command line:
exiftool -d "%Y-%m-%d %H,%M,%S%%-c" '-filename<${DateTimeOriginal} $Make-$Model Animal Swan.%e'
in Finder I select the 10 files and I drag those files to my terminal window, and hit enter and BAM! it works, because MAC OS Does understand that you can drag multiple files in a terminal window.

Back to my Windows laptop: Windows doesn't understand that I have 10 files selected that he needs to paste those 10 files in the command window (like MAC does),
instead of that Windows paste just 1 file.

is there a solution for this?

Phil Harvey

I didn't even know this about Windows, but perhaps PowerShell handles multiple files differently?  Have you tried PowerShell instead of cmd.exe?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Raffie77

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 02, 2019, 07:01:10 AM
I didn't even know this about Windows, but perhaps PowerShell handles multiple files differently?  Have you tried PowerShell instead of cmd.exe?

- Phil

I never heard of powershell,
I'll take a closer look at this.

thanks Phill

Raffie77

I tested it with power shell and it didn't support dragging multiple files.

I found a program that renames files using exiftool, it's called Advanced Renamer.
Works like a charm and I can drag and drop multiple files.

That solves sort of my problem.

Ralph

Stephen Marsh

Hi Ralph, there are differences between Mac and Windows, this is one of them.

That being said, a nice feature of Windows is that you can create a shortcut to exiftool, get properties and then hard code arguments into the shortcut's "target" field treating it like a command line. You can then drag and drop multiple files and they should then be processed. Attached is an example .png image using -k and -description however the commands could be anything.

The exiftool.exe program file can also be renamed to use simple commands that do not use illegal file system characters, however I prefer the shortcut/target method as it is more flexible. You can rename the shortcut, change it's icon and preset the target field to easily create a stand alone drag-n-drop "program" which takes a little more work on the Mac using Apple Automator:

http://prepression.blogspot.com/2016/12/automator-diy-exiftool-gui-services.html

PH Edit: Make attached image viewable in post

scotthd

I am new to this.  Am trying to use the shortcut as above, however, no matter what command I type into the "Target" I always get an error.  I can not figure out what I am doing wrong.  Any Suggestion?

Stephen Marsh

Unlike when using a command line, the target has to point to exiftool.exe and not just exiftool

Here is an example, ExifTool is installed in:

C:\Windows\exiftool.exe

While the target is:

C:\Windows\exiftool.exe -ext "*" "-filename<%f.$fileTypeExtension"

(This example command adds a filename extension to files that do not contain one)

scotthd

After 3 hrs trying to figure it out....so simple with your explanation.

Thank you!!!