Fix incorrect Media Create date

Started by gundi, May 08, 2019, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gundi

Hello,
I really don't know what I am doing and just need a command to fix the dates on my gopro videos. It reset to 01-01-2015 for videos that I took on 05-01-2019. Here's the info for one file.

I have about 50 videos so I want to be able to run them in a batch. I have tried the following command for just one file to test it:

exiftool -alldates="yyyy:mm:dd hh:mm:ss" c:\file.mp4

This changed the single file to the correct date and time but it will change all of the videos to the exact same time and date if I try to batch them.

I tried to do a exiftool -alldates+=04:04:00 c:\file.mp4 but this only changes the date by 4 hours not 4 years, as I intended.

My videos are in the same folder as my exiftool.exe, I know how to navigate in cmd to get to the folder that has the exe and the .mp4 files. I would like a cmd that will change all of the files' media created date ahead by 4 years and 3 months 29 days 14 hours 0 min 0 seconds. Help please.

StarGeek

Quote from: gundi on May 08, 2019, 04:41:04 PMI tried to do a exiftool -alldates+=04:04:00 c:\file.mp4 but this only changes the date by 4 hours not 4 years, as I intended.
I would like a cmd that will change all of the files' media created date ahead by 4 years and 3 months 29 days 14 hours 0 min 0 seconds. Help please.

Your close.  By default, when shifting a time value, exiftool will assume you want to shift hours unless you make it clear that you want to shift years.  To do so you need to format the shift as "Year:Month:Day from Hour:Minute:Second". 

Try:
exiftool -AllDates+="4:3:29 14" c:\file.mp4

You don't need to add the minutes and seconds since they are trailing and not being changed.

You can see a couple examples here and full details in the ExifTool Date/Time Shift Module docs.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

gundi

Thanks, that sort of worked. When I go under properties>details it says media created 5/1/2019 8:58 AM, but when I try to look at it in GoPro Quik it still says they are from 1/3/2015, so I ran the exiftool of the new file it says the new date (2019) under create date and modify date, but the old date (2015) under track create date, track modify date, media create date and media modify date. Dang I would think all dates would do all of the dates. :) here's the code I put in:

exiftool -alldates+="4:3:28 14" .

I added the . so it would do all of the .mp4 files that were in the folder with the exiftool.exe, which it did, giving me new files and the old ones w/ the _original at the end. More help please, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am attaching a screen shot of both the exiftool and the windows properties window. Sorry I don't know how to make the picture show up in the window.

gundi

I also tried doing -createdate.... & -modifydate.... etc, instead of all dates with the same results as above

Phil Harvey

Try this:

exiftool -time:all+="4:3:29 14" FILEorDIR

The AllDates tag isn't meant to be used on MP4 files -- it represents only the common EXIF date/time tags, and EXIF doesn't apply to MP4 (I should have called it "ExifDates", but that's water under the bridge now).  Using -time:all is much more powerful, and will allow you to change all writable date/time tags.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gundi

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 08, 2019, 09:27:55 PM
Try this:

exiftool -time:all+="4:3:29 14" FILEorDIR

The AllDates tag isn't meant to be used on MP4 files -- it represents only the common EXIF date/time tags, and EXIF doesn't apply to MP4 (I should have called it "ExifDates", but that's water under the bridge now).  Using -time:all is much more powerful, and will allow you to change all writable date/time tags.

- Phil

Thanks Phil! my videos are now in the right place with the right dates.

Here's some helpful info if anyone else has this problem, specifically with GoPro Quik: Phil's command of exiftool -time:all+="4:3:29 14" FILEorDIR (4 is years, 3 is months, 29 is days, 14 is hours) worked exactly like it was supposed to. When I read the metadata using the exiftool app, all of the dates had been changed to the new desired dates. One problem, when I tried to move those new corrected files into Quik, it still had the old date, even though I had deleted out the whole folder where they had been. I was ready to scream! But I discovered a way around this. I emptied out the import destination folder. Formatted my GoPro microSD card, took 1 random picture to have the structure that Quik was looking for, added the fixed mp4 files to the SD card where my random photo was, then re-imported all of the photos into Quik. My dates were still correct! Just had to delete the random photo & everything was golden. I think there is probably a way to import videos that are already on your computer into Quik, but I haven't taken the time to figure that out yet and for now this worked. My final project will be to put a note in my GoPro bag to always check the date before I start shooting, because 2 min to fix the date would have saved me a days worth of fussing, but at least I learned something new & now I can fix some pictures that were taking by someone else w/ a bad date on their DSLR. Hopefully this will all work just the same, if not I will probably be back. :) Thanks again to everyone that helped.