Adding new Geotags to MP4 file

Started by Sc07713, May 23, 2019, 10:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sc07713

Hi Phil,

I have seen in previous posts that it is not possible to add certain GPS coordinates throughout the stream.

However I saw in the Quicktime tags page that I may be able to add mebx or QuickTime Key Tags, and GPS strings looked available.

I currently have a gopro, and wanted to add in some extra tags around the GPS information, through out the stream.

Any advice on how I would use your tool to achieve this would be very much appreciated.

All the best

Scott

Phil Harvey

Hi Scott,

ExifTool currently writes only static metadata in video images.  Writing of timed metadata is not supported (and likely won't be supported for a very, very long time) -- unfortunately it sounds like this is what you want to do.

[I knew I was opening up a can of worms when I added the ability to write video metadata.]

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Sc07713

;D haha no problem Phil, really appreciate your work.

Thanks for the feedback.

If that is the case, can you guide me on how to add the geotags to images extracted out of the video.

I have converted my mp4 to a single jpg/png per second, and I want to attribute time, lat and lon to them.

I tried the -geotag function, and came back with "No writable tags set from xyz-photo".

How should I add custom tags to add the geo reference?

Should the following example do:

exiftool -q -overwrite_original -ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal="20190402 09:00:00" -GPSLatitudeRef=S -GPSLatitude=37.8136 -GPSLongitudeRef=E -GPSLongitude=144.9631 -XMP-dc:Description="Melbourne 2019" out01.jpg

Phil Harvey

If your video contains timed GPS metadata, then you should be able to do this to tag your images:

1. exiftool -p gpx.fmt -ee VIDEO_FILE > out.gpx

You can get gpx.fmt here.

then geotag the images:

2. exiftool -geotag out.gpx -ext jpg DIR

Your example should work to geotag a single image, but you may also want to write GPSDateStamp and GPSTimeStamp.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).