Reports of any Documentation errors, typos, etc.

Started by mpegleg, June 26, 2019, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpegleg

Just a VERY minor typo in the ExifTool Application Documentation...

-srcfile FMT

Third paragraph: If than one -srcfile option is specified,...

I'm assuming you meant to include the word "more".

Phil Harvey

Fixed.  Thanks!  This update will appear in the next release.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mpegleg

from exiftool Application Documentation:

-tagsFromFile SRCFILE or FMT

Notes:

4). The order of operations...

exiftool -One=1 -tagsFromFile s.jpg -Two -Four=4 -Three d.jpg

Forgive me if I'm wrong (but if I'm understanding this example correctly), I think this perhaps should have been written as:

exiftool -One=1 -tagsFromFile s.jpg -Two=2 -Four=4 -Three=3 d.jpg

StarGeek

No, because this example is showing the order of operations when you mix assignment with copying tags.

In the file d.jpg, first, One is set to a value of 1
Then the value of Two is copied over from s.jpg to d.jpg
Then the value of Three is copied over from s.jpg to d.jpg
And only then, because it is a "tag assignment to the right of the -tagsFromFile option", is the value of Four set to 4

Let's replace the number tag names with actual tags. Assume the value of Description and Title in s.jpg are set to S2 and S3 respectively
exiftool -Description=1 -tagsFromFile s.jpg -Description -Title=4 -Title d.jpg
In the the file d.jpg,
First, Description is set to the value of 1
Then Description copied from s.jpg and is now set to S2
Then Title is copied from s.jpg and is now set to S3
Finally, Title is set to the value of 4.

The final result is Description is set to S2 (copied from s.jpg) and Title is set to 4 (direct assignment).

Normally, later assignments override earlier ones, but as you can see in the example of Title, this isn't the case when -tagsFromFile is involved.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

mpegleg

aha. ok. Thanks StarGeek. I get it now! It does require some mental gymnastics, perhaps for which I am not always up to par. ;)

StarGeek

This would be a situation I would normally avoid.  It's nice to have options and know how they work, but if you need to do something like this, you're doing something way to complicated and probably should look to simplify the process.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

mpegleg

meh. You're right of course, but I always over-complicate everything in life, because... what could possibly go wrong?

Hey... where did all my 43000 images suddenly disappear to? :o