Apple Live Photos - update MOV date based on JPEG date

Started by Erwin, July 04, 2019, 07:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin

Hi,

I am a newby in using ExifTool, and appreciate your help with the following:

For Apple Live Photos downloaded from iCloud, I noticed that there are 2 (and sometimes) corresponding files; a JPEG and a MOV file (and sometimes an additional HEIC and JPG file).

I would like to update the quicktime:creationdate for MOV files with the exif:datetimeoriginal from the corresponding JPEG file.
The linkage between those two files can be found in MakerNotes:ContentIdentifier for JPEG files and QuickTime:ContentIdentifier for MOV files.

Unfortenately the names of the related JPEG and MOV files are not always the same, so the easiest command will not work:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.jpeg "-exif:datetimeoriginal> quicktime:creationdate" -ext mov .

Thanks in advance

Phil Harvey

Here is one way this may be done:

1. Create a set of temporary hard links based on the ContentIdentifier:

exiftool "-hardlink<tmp/$contentidentifier.%e" DIR

2. Update the creation dates:

Make sure you have a backup of your files before you run this command:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.jpeg "-quicktime:creationdate<exif:datetimeoriginal" -overwrite_original_in_place -ext mov tmp

(".jpeg" really?  not ".jpg"?)

3. Delete the "tmp" directory and all of its temporary links.

- Phil

Edit: Needed to add -overwrite_original_in_place to the second command (RTFM, Phil) -- Note that this makes step 2 rather inefficient since it has to write each file twice.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Erwin

Thanks Phil,

I need to check the results in more detail as I ran your commands on a DIR with over 10K of Live Photos (JPEG and MOV).
In 60% of the MOV files the creationdate is updated succesfully; in the other cases it is not updated.

I will get back to you shortly.

Erwin