Removing all Adobe clues from edited jpgs

Started by kofta, August 01, 2019, 05:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kofta

Hello there, i'm new, and this is my first experiments.

I have an original jpg file from iphone, after editing it in Adobe Photoshop, it has a lot of Adobe data in Exif.

Can i copy all original exif information from original into edited file?
I tried it with online exif editor, but it can't delete some of 'String' Adobe data.
Then i delete all xmp data with Exiftool, but in online tool photo-forensics/#strings
I can still see Adobe words:
Exif
Apple
iPhone 6s
2019:07:27 16:20:41
Apple
iPhone 6s back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
2019:07:27
Adobe_CM
Adobe

b34r
7GWgw

So, the question is: Can i copy all original exif information from original into edited file or may be delete everything "Adobeish" from my edited jpg file?
I tried to search forum, but still nothing exactly..

Andrew. :) 

Hayo Baan

To remove all metadata from the edited image and replace it with the metadata from the original, you could do something like this:
exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile org.jpg -all:all edited.jpg
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

kofta

it works nice, thank you) Strings are clean
Apple
iPhone 6s
2Apple iOS
bplist00O
bplist00
UflagsUvalueYtimescaleUepoch
jEnG
Apple
iPhone 6s back camera 4.15mm f/2.2
2019:07:27
%&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz
&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz
odwug
o$R2Km2'
W$g%JWWz
6YYs
9ier

But now, i have an old Thumbnail)) Can i apply all this without changing the thumbnail?

Anyway, thank you a lot!)

Phil Harvey

Try this:

exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile org.jpg -all:all -tagsfromfile @ -thumbnailimage edited.jpg

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kofta

Phil, thank you for answer, but its not working..

All exif is okay, but it has a org file thumbnail.. 90 degree turned..

Phil Harvey

The command I gave will use the thumbnail from "edited.jpg".  Is that what you wanted?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kofta

Yes, from edited one, i checked it, an it has the new (correct) thumbnail..

but after changing all exif by this command: exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile org.jpg -all:all -tagsfromfile @ -thumbnailimage edited.jpg
edited.jpg image showing the original.jpg image thumbnail
???

Phil Harvey

I'll have to do some investigating to see why my other command didn't work, but this one should do the job:

exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile org.jpg -all:all --thumbnailimage -tagsfromfile @ -thumbnailimage edited.jpg

- Phil

Phil Harvey

I'm still investigating, but I discovered that this also works (specifying IFD1 when copying the ThumbnailImage):

exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile org.jpg -all:all -tagsfromfile @ -ifd1:thumbnailimage edited.jpg

- Phil

kofta

Well, thank you a lot Phil!)

First i try it this way:
1) make a 160x120 thumb from edited pix
2) change thumb from editet image whith this command: exiftool "-thumbnailimage<=thumb.jpg" image.jpg
the thumb changed, but exif was full of Adobe xmp words (because, the thumb was made with Photoshop and edited image) omg!))

than i clear my thumb file exif, and tadam!))

later i'll try your suggested commands

And Phil, thank you a lot for your work and researches! You make a great things for photographers

Phil Harvey

Ah.  I found the reason.  It is related to a change in ExifTool 10.38 when the ThumbnailImage groups were changed.  I will patch ExifTool 11.61 so the first command I provided will work.  I'm not surprised there were some side-effects from the 10.38 change, but I am surprised that it took more than two years to discover this one.

- Phil