Reasons not to use three letter country code?

Started by obetz, August 22, 2019, 03:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Hi all,

would you mind to share your current opinion on which country code to be used?

The old IPTC-IIM standard required 3 (three) letter ISO country code.

I found postings that Adobe defaults to two letter codes in Lightroom and Photoshop. Is this correct?

Newer IPTC documents allow two or three letter codes.

This puts the burden on client software to find both versions for search or filtering.

Rather stupid...

Oliver

Phil Harvey

Which one to use really depends on the software you use and what it expects.  I can't speak for that.

The newer specifications just state ISO 3166 without specifying which set.  ISO 3166 has 2- and 3-character alpha codes as well as a 3-digit numeric code.

Personally I would go with 2-character codes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

I put 2 letter codes in my photos.  GB for UK, you know it makes sense!

obetz

Quote from: Alan Clifford on August 22, 2019, 02:47:16 PM

Correct, UK is not a ISO 3166-1 country code but just reserved. Easy to confuse with the tld.

Oliver

Alan Clifford

Quote from: obetz on August 23, 2019, 04:13:42 AM
Quote from: Alan Clifford on August 22, 2019, 02:47:16 PM

Correct, UK is not a ISO 3166-1 country code but just reserved. Easy to confuse with the tld.

Oliver

I was, perhaps rather abstrusely, alluding to the fact that Great Britain is only a part of the United Kingdom.

obetz

it crossed my mind <g>.

At present I hope that the Kingdom gets as United as it was before 2016.

sevy

Hello,

I used 3 letters country code (even if I find 2 letters more easy) for the following reason : when I started to add metadata to pictures, I used Geosetter.
With this program (at this time), when adding the country, the country code with 3 letters were automatically added.
After, I started to learn Exiftool (a never ending process :-). It seems more convenient and logic to continue to add the 3 letters country code rather than to change to 2 letters code.

StarGeek

I use 3 character code because I still sync IPTC and XMP data and try to avoid warnings whenever possible and the IPTC:Country-PrimaryLocationCode issues a warning when it's only 2 characters.  And pretty much the only reason I bother adding the Country code is because I took the time to create a config file that will return the country code based upon the country tag.  Otherwise, I feel it's a relatively useless tag as you probably have the full country name already and that tag is more informative and easier to read.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).