Removing metadata from CR2 files

Started by LD, November 21, 2019, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LD

Hi there,

New user here. Just downloaded the program, which is a little over my head. My goal is simple - I just want to remove the date and GPS data from my Canon CR2 raw files. Can anyone help a simpleton out?

Thanks so much for your time.

LD.

StarGeek

Try this
exiftool -gps*= -time:all= <FileOrDir>

Replace <FileOrDir> with the files and/or directories you wish to process. This command will create backup files which can be suppressed with the Overwrite_Original option.  You can recurse into subdirectories with the -r (recurse) option

You want to be careful what you remove from raw files because if you remove some things like Make and Model, then the image may be rendered unviewable (see FAQ #8).

There may also be a timestamp in the MakerNotes section of the data.  This cannot be removed (indivudual MakerNotes tags can't be deleted) but if it still exists you can change it to something like "0000:00:00 00:00:00".  I'm not completely sure what the result would be as I've never actually tried to remove it.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

LD

Awesome! That worked. Thanks so much for your help!