Move to exiftool.org

Started by Phil Harvey, December 06, 2019, 12:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Some of you may have noticed that this forum and the ExifTool web site have moved to the exiftool.org domain.  I have moved them away from Queen's University in anticipation of my planned retirement in the spring, and they are now hosted by dreamhost (supported by your donations, thanks!).  So far, the move has gone very smoothly, and should ensure that I will be able to continue supporting/developing ExifTool after I retire.

Also, I will be using philharvey66 at gmail.com as my primary email address for ExifTool communications from now on.

I have searched through all previous posts in this forum and replaced all of the links/addresses that I could find to reflect the new domain.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Just to verify, since I've been changing links on various StackExchange pages and got asked about this, any queensu.ca links will no longer work after you retire?
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Currently, and for some time after I retire, the sno.phy.queensu.ca and owl.phy.queensu.ca links will get redirected to exiftool.org.  The u88.n24.queensu.ca forum links are also redirected now, but that machine may go offline when I retire.

My queensu mail may continue to work for a while, but I'm not sure how long.

My retirement date is set for April 1, 2020.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

This is what I've been using to describe my StackExchange edits.  Should I alter it?

"Exiftool's website has changed and the queensu.ca links will become invalid April 2020"
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Phil Harvey

Well, it's a year later and all of the old Queen's URL's and emails are still redirecting to the new locations.  All in all, I think the transition was very seamless from the client side of things (and less work than I thought from my side, which is great).  I think that COVID has helped keep the old forum server online since people have been working from home more, and apparently there hasn't been anyone in the office that has repurposed my old machine.

Dreamhost has been a good provider so far, with good support and fewer outages than with the old Queen's server.

- Phil