Read settings in version 11.86 windows vs. 11.65 linux

Started by tijuinem, February 15, 2020, 08:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tijuinem

Hello
As you can see it gives me a different value in the file modification in version 11.86 in windows : 13:16
and in version 11.65 under Linux Ubuntu : 14:16
there's an hour's difference.
greetings and great work

Phil Harvey

This is likely a Windows bug.  There are known problems with filesystem date/times and timezones on Windows, especially for some types of filesystems.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tijuinem

thks for reply Phil
but, in this case, I think that the correct meassure is the windows version. Look at the filename. It´s a Android Recording.

the filename indicates the day and time : 15-October-2019, at 13:06:38. This is the beginning of the recording, and Exiftool windows version says the time 13:16:18,  this is correct, the recording was 9 minutes. 13:06  +9 minutes = 13:16

Phil Harvey

What times do the "dir" command in Windows, and the "ls -l" command in Linux show?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tijuinem

hi Phil

with dir command under windows  : 15 Oct 2019 - 12 hours 16 min
with ls- l commanda under linux : 15 Oct 2019 - 14 hours 16 min

obetz

It would be helpful to see the ExifTool output from both Windows and Linux - Was the screenshot from the Linux or the Windows system?

Are the reports from
* a dual boot system on same hardware?
* two different systems?
* WSL?
* other?

I remember a bug with dual boot systems and real time clock time zone interpretation.

What are your exact time zone settings in both environments?

2019-10-15 was DST in Europe, today it's normal time. Activestate Perl had (has?) a bug different interpretation how to "correct" file times from other time zones.

Although I checked that my Windows version of ExifTool behaves like the original, you might want to try whether you get the same results with it: https://oliverbetz.de/pages/Artikel/ExifTool-for-Windows

Oliver

Phil Harvey

I don't think you can blame ExifTool for this problem since the underlying system utilities have similar issues.

- Phil